Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Marchington

Default Re: AAF Station 158 Sudbury

History Questions on UK Evacuation - My father was treated in the 182nd General Hosptial from NOV1944-FEB1945. I am trying to gather any information on the Hospital - pictures, may of the time period, "exact" location in Sudbury park (prison or not) if the buildings still exist and are they accessible? I am missing two other pieces to his evacuation to and fro. 1) From Paris in OCT44, his medical card says UK and then we pick his trail up at the 79th General Hospital in Southampton before being sent to the 182nd. Not sure about the trans in between. 2) His return in FEB45 has him leaving Sudbury to the 10th Repo Depot in Lichfield. From there I don't know how he got to Le Harve... Tidworth (12th Repo Depot) and then out thru Southampton? Thanks.

Default Re: Marchington

Quote Originally Posted by mgmstar View Post
    AAF Station 158 Sudbury / Marchington

I really appreciate all the info on this site. Maybe someone can help me locate this station. I am confused as to where station 158 was located. Some references say Sudbury, Staffs., some say Sudbury, Derbyshire. Is this the same place??
    I am sitting here in Minnesota in the US, never been to the UK, not familiar with counties and cities over there.
    Any help as to where this USAAF station was located would really be awesome!
    Here's two pics of my dad at this base in 1943-1945. He was a supply sergeant at the depot. Looks like a Nissen hut, am I correct, although it seems much taller. He's the joker on the left in the outside photo. The "sign" says Supply Sec.
    Hi,i saw your thread about Marchington camp and thought you may like to see these aerial photos
    taken in 1947.if you Google "Britain from above" and sign in,you can use their zoom facility to get a really close look.there are four photos,this link may take you straight there.
    hope you find what you are searching for.

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/i...chington&ref=0

cheers Rick

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Some serious rail spurs into the depot shown here:

http://wtp2recorder.appspot.com/wher...=None&rov=None

Quote Originally Posted by PETERTHEEATER View Post
    Some serious rail spurs into the depot shown here:

http://wtp2recorder.appspot.com/wher...=None&rov=None
    Hi Peter,thanks for that map.I'm just hoping the chap who started the thread about his dad
    gets to see the photos from Britain from above that i posted a link to.I came across it by accident,
    now I cant stop looking to see if i can find where his dad was in the photos.I originally was looking at a line of vehicles which to me look like motorbikes,but I prolly will never find out.
    cheers Rick

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Right It took me a while to realise that these site drawings are Marchington although they are titled Sudbury:

Beware of orientation. North is not top on Sheet 1

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information