Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SINGAPORE - Tengah

Default SINGAPORE - Tengah

Does anyone have any photos or information about Tengah.

I came over from Seletar where I was in the MU from July 1968 to April 1969.

I was there from April 1969 on 20 Sqdn Hunters until they closed down as a J/T Air Wireless fitter.

I then went into the Air Radio bay for a while until I got bored and wangled my way over to the Ground Radio Bay underneath the tower.

I signed on from 9 and 3 in the reserve to 22 years on 31 December 1970.

Cheers

Default Re: RAF Tengah

This may be of interest: Tengah Times December 1970

All the best,
    PB

Thanks for that.

I am sure that somewhere I have or had the Tengah Times for the month that 20 Sqdn disbanded.

Note to self: you had better not have thrown that out.

I just went on to Google Earth and this is a screen shot of Tengah now.

Tengah on Google maps.doc

I also did a screen shot from Google and saved it but I can't upload it for some reason.

Anyway on Google ex RAF Tengah is at

N 1.372311
    E 103.714790

And the MacGregor club is still shown there.
    Last edited by billd766; 13-12-2010 at 09:22. Reason: I forgot something

I was at Tengah from about Feb '67 (when I was reposted from Butterworth) to June 1969. I worked in Supply Sqn, mainly in SCAF, latterly on the Lightning demands desk. My outside activity was as Chf Announcer (quaint, eh?) on Tengah Broadcasting, a rediffusion service that reached a limited audience as the authorities wouldn't allow us out on the airwaves. On a recent trip to Singapore a couple of years ago, I took my beloved by taxi up the Chua Chu Kang Road to the base. The old village where the 3 bars (London Bar, Tengah Bar & - I think - John Haig Bar) & Charlie's the Tailors operated had been flattened & there was now a logistics depot belonging to the Singapore Armed Forces on the site. We looked into the main gate, which was substantially unchanged, with the old SHQ building to the left, with Cheshire Block & the Rocks' Block behind it, Guardroom to the right, & Mac's Caff straight on. The 'Pipe of Truth' still spanned the big monny drain. Couldn't see anything of the airfield, as they've put up opaque fencing pretty much all the way round it. Stirred a few memories, though. I've got loads of pictures, including a set taken at the Station Families' Day in Nov 1968. I really must get around to scanning them onto my computer as they are now genuinely historical documents. Somewhere in the loft are my copies of Tengah Times, too. I Used to write the TBS article for most of my tenure. My Brother was OC Mech Eng Grd as the station ran down, & was on the last scheduled VC10 out in about March 1976. Bild766 will probably remember the metal hangars with the 20 & 81 Sqn identifiers on the doors?

We have several topics on Tengah here http://RAFForum.activeboard.com/ including several of the lads from 20 squadron at about your time

Hi There - I have just seen your thread having spent some time today scanning in a few transparencies from Tangah taken when both 45 & 20 squadron disbanded. I have attached a couple of the final flypast which you were no doubt part of, also one of the final march past - all a bit faded now but I will put them through Photoshop to hopefully improve them. I have quite a few - mostly of 45 Sq. You may recall the annual bar building competition around Christmas time - I have plenty of those. I'm happy to share these if anyone is interested. There seems to be a lot of drinking going on - I can taste that Tiger now.

regards
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Vikingman; 06-02-2011 at 18:42.

I am sure at Xmas 1969 I used to have a blue and white Hillman Californian and I nearly ended up in the monsoon drain between 45 and 20 Sqdns.

It could have been because my mates wife was sitting on the bonnet pretending to be the bonnet mascot or perhaps it was because I had drunk too much (Nah, never) or I for got to put the lights on.

No matter as we made it safely and a merry night was had by all.

I stayed with my mate and we made a beer can pyramid in his carport.

Hi John.

Thanks for that link.

(I have just joined that forum but the only guy I found so far was TenTonTone who posted above you

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

A Handley Page Victor B.1A (XH645) of No 57 Squadron RAF being 'bombed up' with conventional ordnance at RAF Tengah, Singapore.

Courtesy of Imperial War Museum Crown copyright. IWM (RAF-T 5196)

A seven store carrier loaded with 1000 pound MC bombs is being hoisted into the bomb bay from a Standard Airfield Bomb Transporter (trolley).

Of interest is that all but one of the bombs are nose fuzed with VT (variable time) Fuzes. After release of the bomb, a wind driven turbine generator in the nose of each fuze powered a transmitter which radiated an RF signal from the two folded dipole aerials. As the bomb neared the ground the signal was reflected back and at a pre-set height the fuze triggered detonating the bomb as an air burst. Most secret and the time. The photograph is undated but probably early to mid 1960s.

The SABT has a new towing arm installed not yet painted RAF Blue-Grey.

The armourer is not wearing a 'pixie hat' but a helmet with a headset and has throat microphones strapped around his neck. Essential to communicate with the Bomb Hoist operator and the 'top man' on the aircraft fuselage responsible for locking, torque loading and disconnecting the lifting gear on completion.
    Last edited by PETERTHEEATER; 27-01-2012 at 09:50.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information