Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RAF Barrow / Walney Island

Default Re: RAF Walney Island (Barrow)

I withdraw my previous comment about it being called RAF Barrow. Someone needs to go through the ORB more carefully than I evidently did!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Smith View Post
    I withdraw my previous comment about it being called RAF Barrow. Someone needs to go through the ORB more carefully than I evidently did!
    This is a real anomaly Dave.
    AIR 10/4038 (1942) and 4039 (1944) both refer to it as RAF Barrow.
    Works - AP 3236 calls it Barrow. The RSP 4405/44 is 'Barrow'.
    RAF Flying Training and Support Units refers to No.3 AGS as 'was to have formed at Barrow (Walney Island), but describes 10AGS as 'Barrow'. It also calls the post-war Gliding School , No.188, Barrow.
    Perhaps there is a clue somewhere in one of those ORBs.

Graham

The bombing range on Walney Island was also called Millom (No. ?). Nothing is simple.

tigger

Quote Originally Posted by PNK View Post
    The bombing range on Walney Island was also called Millom (No. ?). Nothing is simple.
    Correct spelling. Millom village is over the other side of the Duddon estuary.

On the subject of RAF Walney V RAF Barrow...my parents always called it RAF Walney Island (mum still lives in the area)

Its correct name is RAF Barrow ( Walney Island ). Unfortunately the RAF Mueseumdo not have any maps or plans of the station, having previously contacted them and spoke to them about the airfield, thats when they told me its correct name. I do have an aerial photo of the airfield taken a couple of years agao if that would be any help ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lt Cmdr ( A ) View Post
    I Unfortunately the RAF Mueseumdo not have any maps or plans of the station, having previously contacted them
    Something not quite right there. There is an 'After the Battle' plan available and these were all made from RAFM originals.

Graham

tigger

Quote Originally Posted by Lt Cmdr ( A ) View Post
    Its correct name is RAF Barrow ( Walney Island ). Unfortunately the RAF Mueseumdo not have any maps or plans of the station, having previously contacted them and spoke to them about the airfield, thats when they told me its correct name. I do have an aerial photo of the airfield taken a couple of years agao if that would be any help ?
    errrr......yes they do.....RAF Museum reference is: 78/24/069 and Drg No. 4405/44

Pardon my ignorance (and my absence for a few weeks), but PM? Thanks for all for the help, I've actually received 2 x A3 sheets showing copies of the original site drawings, which is extremely useful. I'd apprecaitesight of anything else - drawings/photographs/documents that could be of use.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Smith View Post
    I have just remembered that I have three pages of aircraft accidents extracted from No 10 Air Gunners School Ops Record Book by friend Alan Clark. There must be far more information in the ORB but this is a start! PM me with your email address and I'll send you the info.

PM = Private Message. It appears as an option on the menu bar near the opt of each thread or as Notifications. They are used to send messages that are not relevant for posting eg exchange of email addresses.

tigger

Default Re: RAF Barrow / Walney Island

Some concrete goodness from RAF Barrow today:

They are hoping to have one of the two remaining Callender Hamiltons replaced with a new hangar. Internally both are in good condition but No1 has it's rear to the worst of the elements and is becoming a burden to maintain. The watch office is in good condition internally.

More photos:http://photobucket.com/raf_barrow
    Last edited by tigger; 15-06-2012 at 07:12.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information