Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Old Faithful" memorial at Wincanton, Somerset

Default Re: "Old Faithful" memorial at Wincanton, Somerset

Here is my old photograph to compare the two plaques.

Old Faithful was a member of the 91st bomb group. My father was a pilot (the first?) of Old Faithful and flew his first mission 7 Jan 1944. On his 26th mission (24 April 1944) the plane was hit with flak. Injured he stayed with the co-pilot as he flew the plane back to base. He survived, none of his crew was killed and returned to the States to face a 1 year hospital stay.

I presume Old Faithful was patched up and placed back into service a couple of months later. And the memorial placed in honor of the brave men who flew Old Faithful.
    Last edited by dprice; 18-10-2011 at 06:51.

My Name is Douglas Keith Deurmyer. My uncle S.Sgt. Douglas Keith Deurmyer was a crew member of "Old Faithful" and ultimately perished in the crash.
    I would be greatful for any more info or pictures anyone could provide regarding this plane, their field etc.

Just to let you know we held a memorial parade this afternoon for the crew of Old Faithful and were joined by the pilots sister. There will be further memorials to mark the 70th year on Wed 25th June which will culminate in a visit to the crash site.

We always remember the crew each year and read out their names on Remembrance Sunday.

Derek, please give me a shout as would be great to establish more links to the crew and their families. We have photos and information that we are happy to share.

Photos from today's parade here
    http://www.terryfisherphotography.co...morial-service

Best regards

Dave, Parade Marshall, Wincanton Royal British Legion.

Hi Dave, Many thanks for your post, and Welcome to the Forum. Great to know that this crew are still being remembered, much appreciated. Regards, Paul.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information