Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unknown installation, can anyone identify?

Default Re: Unknown installation, can anyone identify?

If there's some sort of cable conduit nearby then it might be the base of an anemometer tower. These were 30 ft (10 m) high - but usually made of angle iron (a big meccano set!). No conduit; then I veer towards a windsock mast.
    HTH
    Resmoroh

Just this minute got back from the site,
    Tried to clear the roots away but they proved tougher to shift than I imagined. Took a pic of the base again with the edge cleared. Gloves for scale. Couldnt find any conduit on this search Resmoroh.

What I do keep failing to appreciate, is that the wood that is there now, has grown further out by about 30 feet in places. and makes it difficult for me to get my bearing on what was where and when! Something NP tells us often is not to rely on the plans for total accuracy.

*I have edited this post as I believed it was the streamer mast base. After consulting with JimC who pointed out my 245 and 243's were round the wrong way! The streamer mast was the other side of the control tower. The only buildings on the plan in the same location to this base were a Gas Equipment store and a Battery Charging Room. This base remains a mystery*.

Thanks to everyone for their input into this thread.
    Last edited by Denis; 30-12-2010 at 22:12. Reason: Wrong information. Edited by Denis.

I remain a doubter if you mean windsock, I've never come across such a hefty base for one and I can't understand how it would need four elevated feet at 8' apart.
    Most have much narrower mountings to supports which allow the mast to be swivelled down for maintainance and sock changes etc.

Is it impossible to be a latter aerial intsallation over the original windsock site?
    Another way to find out windcone positions are those airfield information sheets that were published post-war, as they show the locations for visiting pilots to know where they are.

Anyway glad you managed to unearth the other glove!
    Last edited by mawganmad; 30-12-2010 at 17:52.

Quote Originally Posted by mawganmad View Post
    I remain a doubter if you mean windsock, I've never come across such a hefty base for one..
    My thoughts too. All those I've seen in the past consist of a wooden pole which is sited between a pair of wooden uprights, say six inches apart. IIRC this was called a tabernacle.

Graham

Definitely not a windsock, this is the remains of the one at Newton;
    http://airfields.fotopic.net/p68554365.html

There are still traces of yellow paint on the four triangular brackets, similar to the paint found on the perimiter track light that I rescued years ago. Was yellow a standard colour paint for preserving metalwork or a 'warning' colour?

I'm sure that I have seen mounts like this somewhere, but can't remember where, when I do I shall try and refer to site plans.
    They look to me like they either support a smallish aerial tower or some kind of structure just off the ground, but what

And that is the best that we can ask for MM. someone must recognise the mounts, I was just surprised it wasnt Graham, Surveyor of all things of rusted steel and broken concrete

Dont know if this may be similar but its on the old Met site next to the tower at Dunkeswell

Thanks ricasso
    If yours had four legs instead of three this would be the sort of thing. Unfortunately ours is close on three hundred yards from where the tower was.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information