Thread: Bedford 'diner'

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Default Bedford 'diner'

One for Ted.

I found this pic of the interior of a Bedford mounted 'diner' body.

A box body with two tables with bench seats inside seating eight, a door with stowable access stairs on the nearside front and another in the rear. In one corner was a boxed in section which took 'hay' boxes; that is insulated containers into which stackable meal containers could be kept hot (warm!).

We used our Bomb Disposal assigned vehicle when working near an RAF base whereby our MT driver would collect food from the Mess and transport it to the worksite where we would throw it to the wildlife. Only a 'scaley' would eat the slop!

Default Re: Bedford 'diner'

Blimey some memories there ! In Germany 1979-1990 we were still eating from those tin cans on exercise. The hay box had been replaced by an ali box known as a hot lock which had a piece of smouldering charcoal in a little receptacle.

The lad scratching his ear is wearing a detachable collar shirt had he polished his studs ?? . At a guess the truck would be a Bedford RL with a box boy originally concieved for RVT applications. The attached are borrowed from another site and show a gang of plumbers on a big BD task on the Yorkshire Moors, I presume the one next to the water trailer is their diner,
    Ted
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ted angus; 10-01-2011 at 12:09.

Wink Re: Bedford 'diner'

Quote Originally Posted by ted angus View Post
    Blimey some memories there ! In Germany 1979-1990 we were still eating from those tin cans on exercise. The hay box had been replaced by an ali box known as a hot lock which had a piece of smouldering charcoal in a little receptacle. Ted
    Yes, and don't forget the doughnuts! Whilst all the experts worried about HAS electrical installation categories, GSE and fuel zones etc, no one ever thought about the introduction of glowing charcoal at mealtimes.

Ah the doughnuts plus of course the egg banjos for breckers !!
    happy Days. My son in law was a bowser driver for part of a Germany tour; in his HAS they used to hide the hotlock in the bowser to stop theft !! I will be seeing him next month will remind him. hee hee
    Happy Days

TED

British Rail/Network rail have very similar vehicles to this.

We used a Bedford RL RVT as a substitute for our Box Bantam (29 AD 46) in the late 60s at Waddo. The introduction of a moratorium on MT spares meant the Bantams worn out starter ring could not be replaced, hence the temporary use of the RL.

After a couple of months of driving the RL around camp, reversing into Flt Sim, Brake Chutes, etc, I bore a close resemblance to Popeye. Also, being a rufty tufty young SAC at the time, I am convinced the continuous jumping out of the RL cab contributed to the aches and pains I suffer from today.

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Thanks Ted, that's the vehicle. At first I thought there was no door on the front off-side of the box but they are all closed and the rear door is in use.

I'm guessing that BD job was the clearance of Fylingdale Moors, not for release and return to the previous owner but prior to installation of the famous 'Golf Ball' radar now replaced with a phased array. Every last scrap of metal had to be removed from a huge area to avoid unwanted 'returns'. I bet they found more than a few mediaeval ox shoes!

Thread Information