Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Upwood

Default Re: Upwood

Hi all,

I was at upwood Friday and went back on Sunday to find out that windows frames have been removed over the last 2 days. There are a new set of gates been put up in the last 2 weeks and are locked at evenings and weekends, so it must be someone working for Strawsons. I cant see that they are worth taking out for scrap!

Sean

Also be aware, the security guards are patrolling with dogs as i found out two weeks ago for myself. When speaking to the guard he told me he had caught alot of kids up there. The new gates seem to be working now. It makes thing very hard for people to visit the site. The only way in is to look for a hole in the fence or contact Strawsons for permission.

Its abit bloody late for Security now, all thats left is broken buildings. I went up there in 2000 and there was not 1 window broken, it looked as if people had left it a week ago but it had been shut for over 5 years at that point.

WHAT A WASTE!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by kaneedwards; 07-11-2011 at 15:36.

Here are a few pictures I took in September

Lintals have been taken out for some odd reason

Looks like someone has been trying to spell their name in the roof tiles

Great photos and thanks for posting. I've been really eager to make a return trip to Upwood for another photo sortie for a while but i really don't know if it's worth bothering now. I've read and been told so many depressing stories about the place's demise over the past few years since my last visit here in 2009. Really sad to see the state of the airfield now.

Thanks for the update Sean, thanks for your text as well and sorry for not replying, its been hectic over the past week or so for me.

Really sad to see whats going on there, I wonder why the frames are being removed? Like you so rightly say, what a waste........

They are probably recovering all the re-saleable bits before demolishing. All of the bricks and fittings from the Officers Mess buildings at Sealand were stacked, packed and taken away.

Moderator and ARG Trustee

Quote Originally Posted by ColinBa View Post
    They are probably recovering all the re-saleable bits before demolishing. All of the bricks and fittings from the Officers Mess buildings at Sealand were stacked, packed and taken away.
    There's nothing much there that's saleable, it's been stripped so thoroughly over the years by land pirates, and the site owners, there is not much left beyond bricks and concrete (bar a few hidden away bits).

Sean, those window frames are valuable enough if you are taking other stuff to weigh-in. They are aluminium, and probably quite heavy.

Believe it or not the lintel bricks have probably been removed so that they can rip out the lead soaker sheet. It's a bit desperate for the few pounds they would get for it! Complete structural collapse, certainly of the outer brickwork, will surely follow.

Sad times, but unfortunately not all that surprising.

It's sad indeed to see the rapid demise of Upwood. I took my Grandad as he was based here in WW2 in 2006, then it seemed reasonable ok, i've gone back over the last 5 years and seen it slide badly. My visit in 2010 will be my last, it was too upsetting to see a once proud place in a state of such utter destruction.

Does anyone know if any buildings have been demolished or planning permission/s granted?

Strawsons Property have submitted another planning application regarding former RAF Upwood: http://www.huntspost.co.uk/news/late...ase_1_1509442#

Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread Information