Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trebelzue

Default Trebelzue

RAF Trebelzue walkaround

Trebelzue is a great place to visit today, as most of it has been left over from the war period and kept under MoD ownership, with no development or preservation.

Location map for the photos

Stand-by set house

This is just a rough and basic walk around guide starting from the original Trebelzue Farm, which is still in its original ownership of the Cowling family.
    The site is very visible from the cliff B3276 road from Newquay to Watergate, mainly due to its twin radar towers and bulk fuel installations.
    From this cliff road a short lane takes you to the farm, on the left, over grown in the hedge is a concrete sentry post.
    Amongst the farm complex itself are a handful of original airfield buildings and some later airfield sheds from St Mawgan that have been re-erected on site for the use of stores etc.
    Down to the left is the beginning of a track known as 'the Burma road' that was laid by the RAF during the war to access the communal sites of Tregustick. This is now impassable and along with the farm, is private land.
    The original concrete accommodation and service buildings at Tregustick can still be viewed, and indeed lived in, as they now come under the holiday park complex of Trevelgue. This is accessed by a different and easy to find lane.
    The main airfield access gate is in front of you and and is not passable, taking you on to MoD land.
    From the aforementioned airfield access gate you get a view right across the original Trebelzue site .

Operations building

View south west over Newquay

On entry to the airfield,
    to the left is the original long and low Operations building, this also housed a survival packing and parachute rigging room, when the RAF vacated it was later used for USAAF operations until the end of the war. It has been used as various social clubs by the USMC and RAF until recent years. A bunker is sited next to its eastern end.
    Going around the airfield taxiway from here in a clockwise direction, the western threshold of the main 4000 ft runway is reached, marked by the recently added secondary surveilance radar tower. From here there are great views straight out to sea, or to the South West over Newquay from the crash gate. This area was used as the fire training burning ground and many aircraft have been burned to destruction here. These days a special training rig is used.
    Looking straight to the east, you see the largest remaining section of the original runways and late war spectacle dispersals. The easterly half of the runway has a modern ESA built on it, and a 'Watchman' radar tower is sited near that threshold.

Looking west along the main runway...

...and to the east which has a modern ESA built across it.

Carrying on to the north you pass more spectacle dispersals and to the east three large earth bunds, at first these look like WWII era blast pens, but they are far more recent.
    Also in this area is the airfields last surviving Hamilton-Pickett fort, This would have been one of at least three built and survives in great condition, but Its hydraulic raising mechanism is missing.

Hamilton-Pickett fort

To the west is a small track and a gate over looking Watergate Bay. Through this gate is a rough track that goes down the side of the steep valley and arrives at the original bomb store site, this is now largely destroyed but the walls and dugouts can still be seen. Again this is on private farm land.

Gate over looking Watergate bay and the track down to the bomb stores

The ruined bomb stores
    Last edited by mawganmad; 26-10-2010 at 14:19.

Default Your contribution of Trebelzue Aerodrome

Thanks for this really well laid out article. I think that you'd better press on and do all the Cornish aerodromes in the same manner ? Nice one
    Cheers ant

Staying on the taxiway, we pass eastwards and pass through more modern developments. The large Shackleton and Nimrod era Torpedo and 'Special Stores' preperation and loading bay is on the right and this explains why cats eyes are laid in the taxiway which runs between here and the aircraft loading and aircraft parking area of Treloy line, St mawgan. To the left are the large cold-war era USN and RAF ESA complexes and look out tower.

Northern taxiway looking west, the weapons bay is to the left in the distance

Other than the runway and taxiway, there is very little original to see at the eastern end of Trebelzue, as a modern ESA storage area occupies most of it and is built on the old runway intersections. However just off from the Northeast threshold is where the small hamlet and farm of Bedrugga existed. This is now under a WWII T.2 Hangar, modern SOF, Uniter and exercise area of the westerly point of RAF St Mawgan.

The North Easterly section of the second 3350ft runway still survives and next to it so does the original pre-airfield St Mawgan village to Newquay main road. It runs from the end of St Mawgans 20 runway, westerly across the middle of Trebelzue were it intersects the runways, it emerges from the other side as a short taxiway, becoming a road and carries on to become the lane at the farm first mentioned.
    The South Easterly taxiway has long been grassed over, in the dryer months it becomes visible as a large curving ridge in the grass area.

Approach to the tower

The unique design watch office

looking NE from the tower along the road linking St Mawgan & Trebelzue, built over the original taxiway

A modern road leads from St Mawgan camp, westwards towards the South Western threshold of the second runway. Just to the north of this track is the Original Control tower of undetermined design, it is still in great condition and has been used post-war for radar housing and exercise area. A more recent concrete building has been added to the side of it.
    The South Western half of the second runway has been grassed over and was used as a sports field, from the threshold you get superb views over St Columb Minor and Newquay. While standing on this threshold it is evident that a third N-S runway of aproximately 2500 ft was started and its threshold actually laid, it forms a T shape from the air.

Looking SW from the second runway, with the cricket pavilion and TACAN in the background

Looking NE, cricket pavillion in view

A 1970s cricket pavilion has been built on it and just to the south a TACAN navigation beacon has been installed. In the boundary hedge lies the original brick built B centre for controlling the runway lighting. Proceeding north westerly the taxiway curves in an arc, just before reaching the farm again, the original Blister hangar can be seen to the right.

Blister hangar

Carrying on past the hangar you reach the access gate and where the tour began.
    Last edited by mawganmad; 26-10-2010 at 14:29.

Perhaps we should adopt the Mawganmad report technique for all first time reporting (I mean new forums) on AiX forums? I think its about time we set a standard for such reports and the Trebelzue example is certainly the best so far.

Really well laid out article Mawganmad, lovely weather for it as well.

We can all learn something from it and I think Paul is right in setting a standard for articles on the site. However trying to convice people to do it is the next step!

Keep up the great work and I look forward to seeing the next airfield visit.

All very nice of you to say so guys, much appreciated, and really glad it is of use here.
    However, don't forget I am incredibly lucky what I do for a living, and as for Trebelzue and St Mawgan, I grew up there and worked there, there really isn't a quare inch of the place I don't know!
    The pics (a very small selection of what I do have) above were taken over different periods of time.
    I would love to see other posts like this covering the many airfields I don't know, but I do appreciate most people will have time, and more importantly, access problems.

Oh, and any ideas of building types in pic 2 and 4 yet?!

Pic 2 is a stand-by Set House, not sure about pic 4

Quote Originally Posted by norwichpaul
    Pic 2 is a stand-by Set House, not sure about pic 4
    Ah many thanks for that NP will adjust post, so Im guessing that would be fitted with generators and a distribution board in case of mains electrics failure?

Could the building in pic 3/4 (operations) be classed as temporary brick structure?

Default Re: RAF Trebelzue walkaround

Was it decided if this was a squash court or not? I forget what we all agreed on now!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information