Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: St Merryn

Default Re: St Merryn

Quote Originally Posted by mawganmad View Post
    Ah, so it is a cinema then.
    I assume you mean the large white building that does ressemble a large version of an RAF Gym/chancel/cinema located opposite some small business units?
    Do you have a site plan at all for St Merryn?
    No MM I dont have a site plan. I may have to get one from Hendon at some point - but I do have the following shots of the cinema -

General View

Projection ports

The stairs to backstage

View towards to the stage - you can even make out the curtain rail

And on the subject of landing fees at military airfields the CO can authorise for them to be waived. Or you can do the trick of not putting the movement in the movements book, of course I never did that but I have heard of cases!

Quote Originally Posted by hydealfred View Post
    No MM I dont have a site plan. I may have to get one from Hendon at some point - but I do have the following shots of the cinema -
    Fascinating shots HF, thanks, I've never been inside. I wonder why it was so much bigger than the RAF counterparts?
    I'm pretty sure that Hendon dosen't have Merryn plans, the TNA has something on the station but unsure what it is and it was too big for them to copy for me!
    FAAM yeovilton has very basic airfield layout plans which I intend to redraw and post sometime.

One of the remaining hangars at St Merryn, photo taken 4 March 2009

went on a geocaching walk from st ervan towards st merryn airfield and went along the edge of the airfield.the edge nearest st eval. some interesting groups of building i have never seen. squareish , lots of external electric boxes still there, one building of the curved nissen hut shape with earth covering. we ended up near a strange building built of brick with a metal curved liner inside on the rear. between the liner and wall there was a walkway and door / windows at each end. Goodness knows what it was. Front was plenty big enough to get a few vechicles in. Small hanger?

just looking at another website and a load of photos of said. apparantly they were part of the bomb dump / handling area. fusing shed and pill boxes and the weird one with metal liner was prob a gunn buttress.
    http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main...ad.php?t=15561

I think I have a plan of St Merryn from 1940 - before expansion and hard runways. What is strange, for an FAA plan, is that it has a numbered buildings list! May have to sit down and redraw it sometime.

I hear change is in the air. The airfield owner, Bob Partridge, died earlier this year. He kept a Grumman AA5 on the airfield and his interest in aviation meant the airfield was allowed to rest in decaying splendour, with a few gyros and aeroplanes based there in the old sheds it was always a pleasure to fly in and talk shop.

Following the death of Mr Partridge his estate is still under probate. However, his son, who has no interest in aviation, has given the resident aircraft owners a fortnights notice to remove their machines, and he intends to raze the existing buildings and redevelop the site. A great shame.

I drove up there last week and wondered why the gates were all locked with private property signs everywhere, never had problems before.
    That's a great shame. Let's hope the Council refuse any applications to redevelop the site. Unfortunately it probably won't stop the destruction of much of what remains there.

slightly off topic - can anyone help - I was talking to an 86 year old chap who remembers a sea fury or firefly crashing in 51 / 52 near port issac which is fairly close to st merryn. Does anyone know of any info about this. It may have been a dutch pilot and poss from illustrious which was off the coast then. He actually walked the pilot to safety. any info please?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information