Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Harrington - Main entrance during the Thor era?

Default Harrington - Main entrance during the Thor era?

Ever since I saw this photo, I wondered where it is exactly, took a drive round this afternoon, and I'm sure it's not on North side as the land undulates, there is no sign of anything on the east side, which only leaves the south side and that doesn't look right.

I guess one of you Thor experts know - care to let me know?

I followed the route the missiles would have taken in from Rothwell, man those guys on the rear steer earned their money that day!

Thanks for your help!

Default Re: Harrington - Main entrance during the Thor era?

East side
    JB

Would it have been straight onto the E-W runway as it crosses the B576?

Anyone got a site plan of it during the Thor era I can take a look at please?

Yes, it's where the runway crossed the road.
    The sign is sitting on the original runway surface, and a new roadway has been laid on top that the transporter is on.

Here's a quick traceover using my Harrington model and elements of the only large-scale OS map that shows some of the site:

Sadly, the inner fence and the admin building/main gate had been removed by the time the OS map was published, hence the empty space and dotted fence lines in the area they should have been.

All the best,
    PB

Thanks PB, it all adds a bit more meat on the bones in my mind.

Strange to think that the cutting edge of Western nuclear missile technology is signposted by two oil drums filled with concrete. What must the USAF have thought?

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Yes, but some poor airman spent a lot of time building up the dry stone walling probably at the insistence of the C.O. Those 45 gallon drums took a lot of cement when a much smaller amount as a 'footing' for each support post would have sufficed and been concealed. Made it difficult to steal!

And the flagpole to display the Sqn Ldr's pennant and Ensign had to be scrounged from a US base.

Dale

YellowPinkie,
    Before the advent of the A14 the road to Lamport from Rothwell had a really vicious low bend in it now that would have been fun
    Noting that you are local as well, we locals must have a good enough number to do a "reconnaissance in force" to the Thor site sometime
    I'm planning to get to the LCA soon anyone out there been on it?, any tips?
    PB
    Winding back the e-mail trail ref the location of the guardroom/crewroom building I reckon with all this data flying about a man of your undoubted talents must be able to place it I reckon I might give it a fair crack

Quote Originally Posted by Thor43 View Post
    And the flagpole to display the Sqn Ldr's pennant and Ensign had to be scrounged from a US base.
    I believe the flagpole was the original one from the wartime admin site at Harrington, now the museum.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    PB
    Winding back the e-mail trail ref the location of the guardroom/crewroom building I reckon with all this data flying about a man of your undoubted talents must be able to place it
    From the photo and the fencelines the gate and admin hut would have been somewhere about here:

All the best,
    PB
    Last edited by P Bellamy; 09-02-2011 at 19:39.

Dale

PB
    Help me here chap, I've been studying your inner/outer fence diagram and I have a question. On the peri track that survives the outer fence ring is obvious from the evidence of concrete post placings however inward of this I have found picket fittings running parallel to the post track that look as if they were intended to tie down Dannet wire or similar. This does not however tie in with the diagram you've supplied, now if this is an inner ring it does not create the ideal sterile area 250ft or whatever. So are you aware of these fittings if so what are they?

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information