Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Harrington - Main entrance during the Thor era?

Dale

Default Re: Harrington - Main entrance during the Thor era?

Heading for Harrington doesn't seem to make any sense from Weldon, personally I would still wager on something to do with Polebrook and the North Luffenham RIM. That said none of the roads of that era make any sense for ordinance of that size!!!!!!

In my minds eye I can see a shorter route to Harrington, but wouldnt that have to negotiate the hill at Rockingham? never driven an HGV, but my old Renault 5 used to struggle to get up that incline, the reverse must have been a tad hairy too

Dale

I grew up less than a mile from Rocky Hill and it was hard enough to walk up!! Yep that Rocky Hill one has exersized my little grey cells once or twice as has the picture of the missile turning up Fox Street/Harrington Road in Rothwell. I know Rothwell well having lived there for many years and the direction the missile must have been coming from to turn in that direction is from north on the old A6 from Desborough/Market Harborough direction. So where was it coming from and if from NL what route? Rocky Hill? This is nearly as mind blowing as Inertial Navigation!!!!!

I wouldn't want to try Rockingham hill with a loaded Thor transporter, my old QL struggled even when running empty.

Starting at RAF N. Luffenham main gate there is a nice stretch of road out of southwards.
    The Edith Weston Road which bypasses N. Luffenham village on the eastern side (built by the late 1950s) leads onto Station Road, over the level crossing and up the hill to the S. Luffenham crossroads. Straight on is another good stretch which brings you out onto the A47 eastbound, turning right takes you through S. Luffenham onto the A47 westbound.

The eastbound turn would have taken you through Duddington onto the A43 and onto Weldon.
    Now comes the first choice...
    Weldon > Corby Village > Cottingham Road > East Carlton > Wilbarston > Stoke Albany > A6 > Desborough > Rothwell > Harrington.
    Weldon > Corby Village > Oakley Road > Rushton > Desborough > Dunkirk Avenue > A6 > Rothwell > Harrington.
    Weldon > Corby Village > Oakley Road > A6003 south > Kettering > Northfield Avenue > A6 Rothwell Road (14' clearance under the railway bridge) > Rothwell > Harrington.
    Weldon > A43 Stanion > A43 Geddington > Kettering > A43 St Mary's Road > A43 Northampton Road (13' clearance under the railway bridge) > Gypsy Lane > A6 >Rothwell > Harrington.

At least there was less traffic on the roads then ...
    Last edited by P Bellamy; 20-02-2011 at 22:07.

Dale

Less traffic for sure PB but I still wouldn't have fancied any of those routes

Those are the "least-worst" routes.

The alternative ones (S. Luffenham > A47 westbound) all get a bit messy...

Uppingham > Caldecott > turn right at Rockingham > Cottingham > Middleton Hill (ugh!) > Wilbarston > Stoke Albany > A6 > Desborough > Rothwell > Harrington.
    Uppingham > Caldecott > Great Easton > Drayton > Medbourne > Ashley > Stoke Albany > A6 > Desborough > Rothwell > Harrington.

Considering the spectacle of the missile movements, there must be hundreds of photographs in private collections.

On ths subject of routes, there must be drivers around that can enlighten us?

Quote Originally Posted by P Bellamy View Post
    A Thor convoy "threading the needle" between the Kings Arms and the Oddfellows Hall on the High Street, Weldon, presumably heading for Harrington:

PB
    This is how it looks today...

Dale

Uumm, I see your point now PB, time for me to eat humble pie, still don't make any sense though the trip must have taken hours!!!!!

hello Paul,would pics of the missiles in rothwell give a clue of the route taken.is the leyland parked up in holcot on the old rally field a thor transporter.tim

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread Information