Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Preservation of Harrington Site - English Heritage

Default Preservation of Harrington Site - English Heritage

Does anyone know if the Harrington Thor site has been proposed for preservation to English Heritage?

It was mentioned in passing here:

http://www.airfieldinformationexchan...eved-Thor-Site

but doesn't give much information.

If not, I'm happy to make the application - what does the forum think? I'm sure somone must have done it already.
    Last edited by YellowPinkie; 11-02-2011 at 10:59.

Dale

Default Re: Preservation of Harrington Site - English Heritage

If you want to make an application then you get my vote, as mentioned before nothing seems to be happening Thor preservation wise and soon it will all be a distant memory and hardcore under the 25 lane M25

Too late, one had the opportunity in 2009 / 2010 but everyone locally (including Carpet baggers Museum) did not want it and turned the planning application down and the subsequent public enquiry. A few of us on here supported it but to no avail. EH objected to the wind farm (so did ABCT) and so all the developer-led money walked away. A great shame as this would have been the only preserved and restored N missile site in Europe. The site might soon be made an ancient monument but you should not confuse this with preservation as in order to preserve you need money and to get money you need a sympathetic developer without that you are stuffed and the place will rot.

This was an interesting case as PPS5 was used by a developer in favour for preservation (an unusual situation) but it failed.

NorwichPaul - a lot of acronyms there What is ABCT and PPS5?

I'm assuming, if it was scheduled as an aincient monument then it would at least mean it couldn't be ripped up, and the **** dumped on it cleared? I can't see how the site could be restored without a lot of money and the windfarm proposal was probably the only source. Whilst returning to nature isn't what I'd want, it has to be better than being ripped up or buried under farm junk as seems to happen to the other sites.

I imagine the Harrington Museum rejected it because of the wind turbines - not sure I'd want them on my doorstep, but the ones up the road at Burton Latimer are practically silent even when stood at the base, and I think are quite nice to look at (when not in your back garden...).

I've looked at the EH website, but do you, or anyone else know how to track any current applications or if they've been made?

Moderator and ARG Trustee

Quote Originally Posted by YellowPinkie View Post
    NorwichPaul - a lot of acronyms there What is ABCT and PPS5?

I'm assuming, if it was scheduled as an aincient monument then it would at least mean it couldn't be ripped up, and the **** dumped on it cleared? I can't see how the site could be restored without a lot of money and the windfarm proposal was probably the only source. Whilst returning to nature isn't what I'd want, it has to be better than being ripped up or buried under farm junk as seems to happen to the other sites.

I imagine the Harrington Museum rejected it because of the wind turbines - not sure I'd want them on my doorstep, but the ones up the road at Burton Latimer are practically silent even when stood at the base, and I think are quite nice to look at (when not in your back garden...).

I've looked at the EH website, but do you, or anyone else know how to track any current applications or if they've been made?
    ABCT are the Airfields of Britain Conservation Trust - the McMorial people. Not sure what they have done so far to actually preserve an airfield though! I suppose I should read their website properly really: http://www.abct.org.uk/helpful-links.php

PPS5 is Planning Policy Statement 5; Planning for the Historic Environment:
    http://www.communities.gov.uk/public...dbuilding/pps5

You are correct in that the scheduling would mean that it could not be disturbed in any way, so it's a good thing. But preservation would have been so much better, and it's been kiboshed by Nimbys and organisations whose opposition to it is quite baffling...

Dale

You know I do wonder about the Carpetbaggers Museum sometimes, the material I was recieving from them lead me to think they were neutral on this subject ???

I believe that EH have earmarked North Luffenham as their preserved Thor site - presumably as it is on MoD land. When word got out of their interest in the Thor sites it was remarkable how quickly farmers with Thor sites on their land got to work to make them less attractive. I understand that North Pickenham got an EU grant to landscape theirs.

Its a toss up between NL and Harrington but both may get ancient munument status although Harrington is the prefered site hense the local EH office objecting to the planning application at harrington.

Dale

Farmers I don't know how they continue to get away with the vandalism they do and I don't just mean sites of historical value.....just about anything they can get their hands on

Ha ha - I know a farmer in Desborough...but he doesn't have a Thor site on his land!

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information