Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 138

Thread: Brize Norton

  1. #81
    Senior Member Dr_Bishop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Outside Oxford
    Posts
    350

    Default Re: RAF Brize Norton

    Even with that help, I regret it is not an area as an Air Trafficker I used to frequent, just a quick blat down during an airfield inspection. The Sim building was about half a mile away from that site.

    Sorry I cannot be of more assistance.

  2. #82
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Posts
    62

    Default Re: RAF Brize Norton

    Hello again, "the" building is to the left hand side of the road going down to the back of the base hanger. The back of "it" can be seen from the main road (Brize Norton Road) looking across the sports field. It is close to the hobbyshop, same side of the road.

  3. #83
    Senior Member EGDGZTCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    EGHQ Cornwall
    Posts
    379

    Default Re: RAF Brize Norton

    I was just looking at the Upper Heyford thread and came across this photo......look at the "pale" building in the mid distance....very similar?...ok, only three windows but similar.

    Originally posted by Pave Flight on the Heyford thread....could it be the same?

    "The pale building in the centre of the shot is apparently where the cores for the special weapons were held. The windows are fake (painted on) to make the building resemble an office building"

    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j1...20Wire/SSA.jpg
    Last edited by EGDGZTCW; 02-07-2012 at 10:08. Reason: change link

  4. #84

    Default Re: RAF Brize Norton

    It is similar to that building but this one at Brize is not in the SSA.

    On a different subject but still on Brize, there is a documentary being filmed there at the moment:
    http://vimeo.com/35018009

  5. #85
    Senior Member Dr_Bishop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Outside Oxford
    Posts
    350

    Default Re: RAF Brize Norton

    Quote Originally Posted by EGDGZTCW View Post
    I was just looking at the Upper Heyford thread and came across this photo......look at the "pale" building in the mid distance....very similar?...ok, only three windows but similar.

    Originally posted by Pave Flight on the Heyford thread....could it be the same?

    "The pale building in the centre of the shot is apparently where the cores for the special weapons were held. The windows are fake (painted on) to make the building resemble an office building"

    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j1...20Wire/SSA.jpg
    My next door neighbour in the mess was the SNCO bomb disposal, all er interesting explosives were stored in the bomb dump and never that close to a main road. Even the station armoury only had enough small arms ammunition for that days planned weapons blattering.

  6. #86

    Default Re: RAF Brize Norton

    Brize Norton on 28 July 2012 by Bill Scott, note how close Broadwell airfield is too


  7. #87

    Default Re: RAF Brize Norton

    About the only saving grace was Broadwell came later and had 3 runways vs. Brize's two.

    Apparently the standing order at 'F' Squadron was that if you landed your glider on the wrong airfield you had to buy the entire squadron a round in the bar.

  8. #88

    Default Re: RAF Brize Norton

    1 - The USAF 1950's built Group Headquarters building


    2 - The USAF 1950's built Group Headquarters building


    3 - A building adjacent to the Group HQ


    4 - This shows part of one of the USAF 1950's built Squadron HQ's, this being the eastern one or the two.


    5 - Harrier GR.3 XZ994 is also on the airfield. Does anyone know what its used for?

  9. #89
    tigger
    Guest

    Default Re: RAF Brize Norton

    Quote Originally Posted by REF View Post

    5 - Harrier GR.3 XZ994 is also on the airfield. Does anyone know what its used for?
    It was allocated an RAF maintenance serial around 1982 and was used for ground training when I last saw it (1983 at Abingdon according to my negatives)

  10. #90
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    320

    Default Re: RAF Brize Norton

    Quote Originally Posted by tigger View Post
    It was allocated an RAF maintenance serial around 1982 and was used for ground training when I last saw it (1983 at Abingdon according to my negatives)
    Having been allocated to the Defence Movements School (DMS), it would have been used for the training of moving Harriers as airfreight.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •