Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Brize Norton

Default Re: RAF Brize Norton

Perhaps as a new member of this enthusiastic group I should come clean and admit that I currently live about one mle from the main entrance to RAF Brize Norton and spent the last fifteen years of my RAF service based there. Initially I was on No.10 Squadron, then No.241 OCU and finally as OC Staneval. On paper, I was responsible for the VC10 CMk1, the VC10 Tanker fleet and the Tristar. However, I only attempted one "prod" with the Tanker and never flew the Tristar, I therefore left standardisation of those types to their own experts. I still enjoy a weekly jug with two of my old mates from Staneval as we quietly watch Old Father Thames slip by.

I regret that I do not have any photographs to offer but when I journey forth to Sainsbury's in Witney I note any changes to the new hangar as it progresses towards completion. Whether it will ever house an A330 Tanker is anybody's guess in these uncertain times.

Meanwhile work also continues on the new hard standings that are apparently necessary in preparation for the dreaded Hercules descent on us from Lyneham, hopefully, not before 2012. My own guess, for what it is worth, is that the VC10, Tristar and Hercules will reach their Sell-By Dates before then.

Pinched from the mil-spotters forum ;

The UK Royal Air Force is investigating the cause of a training incident
    involving a Lockheed Martin C-130K tactical transport, which has halted
    activities at its Brize Norton air base in Oxfordshire since yesterday.
    Aircraft XV304 blocked the runway at the RAF's main transport hub after it
    made a wheels-up landing, causing fresh disruption to the UK's "airbridge"
    between the base and Afghanistan.
    The RAF's joint aircraft recovery team will attempt to move the stranded
    Hercules from the runway this afternoon, enabling it to restore normal
    operations. The Ministry of Defence says the mishap has caused only "minor
    disruption", and that affected flights have been diverted to alternative
    locations.
    Delivered in 1968, XV304 is one of the RAF's remaining 14 operational
    C-130Ks. The type is being gradually removed from service, with its
    capabilities to be replaced by around 22 Airbus Military A400Ms. No-one was
    injured in the landing incident.

Used to transport personnel and equipment to Afghanistan, the UK's airbridge
    was also suspended for several days in early April due to the effects of the
    ash cloud caused by an Icelandic volcanic eruption.
    The 8 May landing incident has exposed a potential weakness in the RAF's
    plan to base all of its air transport assets at a single base with only one
    runway. Brize Norton is already home to the service's Boeing C-17 airlifters
    and Lockheed TriStar and Vickers VC10 tanker/transports, and is now being
    prepared to also accommodate its 14 replacement Airbus A330 Future Strategic
    Transport Aircraft.
    The service is also making preparations to move its remaining C-130Ks and 24
    C-130Js to Brize Norton from RAF Lyneham in Wiltshire, with the latter base
    set for closure.

I know it quotes the 8 May but the original writer must have meant 6 May , yesterday . It seems that quite a few wheels fell off yesterday !

Here it is its an SF kite, The barmy centralising of all AT on a single runway airfield was one of the first objections put forward when it was muted that Lyneham would wind down,
    see here scroll to page 2 of the link there are 2 photos so keep scrolling http://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/foru...p?f=44&t=10877

Thats exactly what I said in a letter that was published in Air Forces Monthly, if Lyneham is to close then Brize should have a parallell runway.

And Ive just seen the pics of the tower, unless Im mistaken that glass at the top is of a USAF design, probably a legacy of their occupation.

I saw the remark about the tyres on a Tornado, that must be an urban myth. The two RAF aircraft that did/do have major problems with their tyres/undercarraige are the Lightning and the Tristar. The Lightnings tyres would only last two-three flights. And as for the Tristars undercarraige, well the RAF should never have got the aircraft, they should have got want they wanted the DC10. The Tristars weight footprint is very high and it has major problems using military airfields. The crews love it of course as they get to use civvy airfields and of course get allowances!!!! They used to hate coming to Goose Bay.

Coming from Kent I need to know what is the best day to actually see a VC-1O in the air ?
    Are there many left at Brize ?
    I hope to visit this June.

When the bean-counters get their abacuses (abaci?) out & furrow their brows it usually bodes no good for the RAF. Brize is obviously vulnerable to closure because of runway obstruction, but what I don't know is whether any of the recent heavy construction works there were devoted to - maybe - strengthening a taxiway to emergency landing standard? About 10 miles west of BZN lies a complete, up-to-date airfield with all navaids, hangarage & is on the main fuel pipeline, too. It has a runway that'll take anything up to B52s. It would solve the pending overcrowding problem at BZN immediately.
    Fairford, of course. Why does the RAF try to cram ten gallons into a pint pot. If Fairford is to remain open now that the USAF has decided to pull out WE will need to make use of it, & what better than to make it a twin with BZN to house all the RAF's transport?? Prior examples that spring to mind are Lyneham/Colerne, & Bentwaters/Woodbridge. Perhaps if we didn't parcel up bales of money & send it to despots worldwide as 'aid' we'd be able to defend ourselves. The way things look now, the RAF won't make it to its centenary, & the boys in blue'll be wearing brown boots & be calling the boss 'Major' before then.

Wont happen for 2 main reasons, same used when Alconbury/ Upper Heyford and Bentwaters/ Woodbridge closed:

1. Incompatible voltage 2. Facilities for airmen far superior to any found on RAF stations!!

In a dream world TenTon I can only agree with you. BUT we are talking about politicians and senior military officers, two of the most self serving members of society.

Who remembers past heads of the MOD and past heads of the armed forces. In service they agree with every political view and when retired cannot write their memoirs quick enough, slagging everybody off except for themselves and how good they were in office.

Spot on, totally agree.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread Information