Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Melton Mowbray

Default Re: Melton Mowbray

Another version of the same image, The front room on the ground floor appears to be a drive trough, I agree about the switchgear being the next room further back (obviously) but have no idea about the stairwell Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images

Model so far:

PB

Thanks chaps,
    Heres another view from the other side of the tower.
    The tower is down on the site plan simply as a 12779/41!! -

Cheers,
    Steve
    Last edited by stevie; 03-10-2010 at 20:37.

Very useful photo once again Steve.

Some poor-quality screen grabs of the ongoing model:

It must have been an impressive structure from ground level.

All the best,
    PB

Hi. Just searched for exactly this! I lived at Church Cottage Great Dalby, just beyond the airfield from 1967 until joining the RAF in 1971. The tower was on land owned by Mr Sibson. He and his sons were very diligent in deterring access to young lads like myself. In 67 the tower was very much as it appears in the photos which, I would guess would date from about 65 or 66. The tower was very badly positioned for its purpose, being as it was in a very low area facing appx midpoint of the (main remaining) runway. That runway was at a much greater height and the topography at the far side dropped away also I was told by an elderly RAFA member in the late 70's that it had an extra storey at its base to raise it. Even then, a view of the complete airfields activities was not possible. I remember upset at its demolition by crane and ball in (I think 69 or 70)!

I spent much quality time on the vast airfield with my dog in spite of the owners attitude. A small tree grew in isolation just out of the picture,forward and to the left of the tower. In summer 68 I managed to smash my Keil Kraft Gipsy into it on its first trimming flight and smashed the carved prop! Moments later the ever vigilant Mr Sibson ejected my father and I back onto the road. Can't have rubber powered models here! -Allow this and they'll (hoards of aeromodellers?) all be coming in!! Admittedly by then the tower's left metal stairway was collapsing, more due to vandals than natural degradation -and in retrospect he was showing an attitude borne of the regular hassle in policing it!
    In the late 80's I visited Roy Bonser who was in long term preparation of his book on East Midlands Airfields. Roy showed me original 1944/5 prints of the tower taken from all sides together with vertical photos of the airfield at two major times of its usage and development.

The tower would appear to have been located HERE (WTP link)

The outline of the roadway and building footings are clearly visible in the current air photo, as is the signals square and station ident letters.

All the best,
    PB

Seems to fit...

All the best,
    PB

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Just realised that I have RSP 5944/42 and it shows the Watch Office in that location and the Fire Tender Shelter adjacent but to the north, the Floodlight Trailer and Tractor shed directly to the east of of the FTS and the Night Flying Equipment Store directly to the NE of the latter. All on an rectangular loop road oriented NW/SE.

The road layout currently visible in GE (etc) appears to be a later layout - shaped like a Bulk Fuel Installation but not(?)

Just looking at the (almost unreadable) site plan i have it would appear that Paul defitnetly has the tower site correct but the concrete lay out is a completely different shape on the plan. One of the T.2's was very close by to the towers left.

WELKIN - Welcome to AiX. It's great to hear from someone who remembers the tower and airfield when it was in a more complete state. Thoroughly enjoyed reading your post mate. I don't suppose you have any old photographs of the airfield from back then do you? It would be great to see them if you have.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information