Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Melton Mowbray

Default Re: Melton Mowbray

Rich - Ray Flude - author of the excellent Melton Airfield In World War 2 book that I recently got for you is currently researching into the P51's in this photograph.

Thanks Steve, hopefully he will see this post on the forum and add some more info.

Here's another rare shot of Meltons tower that I've had in my collection for years -

Cheers
    Steve

I showed Denis around several airfields yesterday, Melton being one of them. Sad to see just how much of a battering Mess Site No.2 has took over the winter. The whole site has been in a very poor state for many years but it has really gone downhill in recent months -

Cheers
    Steve

Bid to fly blimp over wind farm site refused

Melton MP Alan Duncan has slammed an energy firm’s refusal to fly a blimp over a site where it is proposing to build four wind turbines.
    Wind Ventures plans to install the 426ft high turbines on Melton Airfield.
    Campaign group Support Melton Against Rural Turbines (SMART) asked the firm to consider flying a blimp over the site to give a fair indication of representing their height and visual impact.
    But the company says it doesn’t intend to fly a blimp as it believes it ‘wouldn’t be the best way for local people to accurately assess the visual impact of the proposed turbines.’
    Mr Duncan said: “The applicant has missed a golden opportunity to show it is truly committed to consulting local people. The idea it’s not representative of the impact of the turbines is laughable. I strongly encourage the applicant to reconsider.”

(From the Melton Times)

Hi all

When the photo of the Mustangs appeared I emailed the archivists at the USAF History branch - the reply below has just appeared! Obviously lots of enquiries. Most just confirms what has been posted. The bit about crating up was interesting. Twin engined aircraft including P-38s were flown across for the Eighth Air Force via the chain of airfields Labrador, Greenland, Iceland. I would like to know how the colleague found the pilots' names. I don't do much research at that level with USAF source

RayF

Dear Dr. Flude

Thank you for your request. According to our records, the P-51D mentioned appears to a P-51D-10, s/n 44-14215, which was manufactured by North American Aviation, Inglewood CA and delivered to the USAAF on 14 Jul 1944. It was flown to the Port of Newark NJ, where it was crated and sent by sea to the Eighth Air Force UK. It was accepted into service there on 5 Aug 1944 and survived operations during World War II. It was disposed as salvage overseas on 21 Sep 1945.

Our sources do not list a 'P7' squadron code, but the 'PZ' code belonged to the 486th Fighter Squadron, 352nd Fighter Group, Eighth Air Force, stationed at Bodney, England, with detachments at Belgium during the 'Battle of the Bulge.' We are certain you could find more information on the combat history of the 486th Fighter Squadron on the Internet.

We hope this information is of some value to you.

Sincerely
    ARCHIE DiFANTE, Archivist
    AFHRA/RSA
    600 Chennault Circle
    Maxwell AFB AL 36112 USA
    (334) 953-2447
    DSN 493-2447

Interesting. Thanks for that Ray.

From the Melton Times this week -

Melton Airfield windfarm protesters fly blimp

Support Melton Against Rural Turbines (SMART) campaigners Anthony Paphiti and Russell Pride at the windfarm site as the blimp is being prepared

A campaign group fighting proposals to build a windfarm on the Melton Airfield site has flown a blimp to demonstrate the height of the proposed turbines.
    Wind Ventures wants to build two 426ft high turbines on one side of the B6047 Dalby Road and two more on the other side.
    Support Melton Against Rural Turbines (SMART), which flew their blimp on Friday and Saturday, say the windfarm would blight the landscape for years to come. Melton MP Alan Duncan added his weight to their campaign this week. He said: “Now we’ve seen with our own eyes how enormous these turbines would be there can be no argument about the damage they’d do to the landscape. These turbines have always been unwanted by locals and now we can see why.”
    l Pictured are SMART members Anthony Paphiti and Russell Pride.

Cheers
    Steve

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

How could the MP judge the size of a wind turbine assembly based on the altitude of a 'blimp'?

"Now we've seen with our own eyes just how enormous these turbines would be"

Really?

Quote Originally Posted by PETERTHEEATER View Post
    How could the MP judge the size of a wind turbine assembly based on the altitude of a 'blimp'?

"Now we've seen with our own eyes just how enormous these turbines would be"

Really?
    I assume by the blimp being flown at either hub height or rotor tip height. That way you can tell where you can see the turbines from. Because wind turbines are painted red and are blimp shaped. And bob around a bit.

You either love them or hate them. Turbines, though the same may be true of blimps. Folk will find the evidence to back up their opinion.

I don't mind them at all, and in 25 years will all be gone anyway in favour of the next whizzo idea.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread Information