Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Emergency Water Storage

Default Emergency Water Storage

ok here goes, every airfield i visit has these small square pools next to hangars and other structures.despite years of wandering around airfields, i have never asked what they were for, my guess is fire fighting as they are open to the elements? but i would love to really know more as they always seem to survive intact, some still full of water like the one at Llandow which is deep and quite a bit bigger than i have seen before.

Default Re: Airfield water, stupid question time!

They were EWS supply [Emergency Water Supply] the idea was if there was a fire in the vicinity the fire truck would come along and replenish his own tanks thus not having to go off to get further water supplies, FE could link hoses to get to greater distances and one tender could continually fill the other whilst it was fighting the fire

I think the signs were Yellow EWS

Quote Originally Posted by John Cooper
    They were EWS supply (Emergency Water Supply)
    I've also seen 'Emergency Water Storage', and 'Emergency Water, Static' terms used.

Graham

Circular brick type at North Witham. I have never seen one of these with any large amount of water in them,

Default Emergency Water Storage

Hi folks,

Does anyone have any idea what the internal depth was, (assuming there was a standard) in a wartime EWS tank? The attached image is of a brick one which appear common on dispersed sites. I'm thinking that perhaps when the sites around them were cleared some of the "junk" may have been dumped into them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Emergency Water Storage

The EWS at North Weald, which is still in use, is the large bunker-like structure opposite the museum and memorial. it is at least ten feet above ground level and hold 250,000 gallons from memory. When I'm back on roster on Monday I'll take some pics.

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

morty_75, welcome to AiX.

It is unlikely that there was a 'standard' of dimensions for EWS for wartime build (austerity) airfields although there may have been for the pre-war permanent stations. The deciding factor in my opinion would be the amount of water (capacity) judged to be required to cover the protected area. So, if you would elaborate on your sites of interest, AiX members may have copies of Record Site Plans (RSPs) that show capacities. You have stimulated me into looking through mine (tonight!) to see if there is a pattern.

I have looked at AP3236 which makes this statement:

The water storage reservoirs and fixer booster installations which were normal equipment on permanent stations for fire protection were considered impracticable for the dispersed layout employed during the war years. A modified form of fire protection was therefore evolved which relied upon storage in the station high level tank to feed hydrants on all the main sites and employing mobile fire pumps. Static water tanks were provided at strategic points to supplement the supply available from the distribution system.
    Last edited by PETERTHEEATER; 06-03-2011 at 08:28. Reason: punctuation

main06.jpgRAF Stanton Harcourt shows an EWS right behind the fire pump house. A good combination.
    http://www.atlantikwall.co.uk/atlant...tml/page06.htm

fire%20trailer%20pump.jpg

Richard

www.atlantikwall.co.uk

There are quite a few doted around Llanbedr, ive only got pics of the signs though, which unfortunately doesn't show how big they are, but whether they could of used them for a emergency may be a cause of debate, as they were found to contain great crested newts, a endangered species, before the MOD left Llanbedr they had to create ponds on the site to house the newts.
    heres the pics

If you notice that under the New RAF they all have to be covered with wire mesh to stop young men from accidentally falling in them. Health and safety. The reason they were open was to allow instant access. Now you will need a key which was kept at the guard room which has now been closed down under government cuts.

main05.JPGA good example RAF Weston-on-the-Green, I think its to stop a sky diver from falling in.
    dennistrailer%20pump.jpg

RAF Weston-on-the-Green

Richard

www.atlantikwall.co.uk
    Last edited by Richard Drew; 09-03-2011 at 08:54.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information