Thread: INDIANA - Stout Army Airfield, Indianapolis

Default INDIANA - Stout Army Airfield, Indianapolis

I paid a visit to the old Stout Army Airfield in Indianapolis, Indiana. It was used in World War II as an Air Transport Command training base. It also had a glider pickup school.

The base is now spilt in two with one half being an industrial concern and the other is a military base. Of course the old control tower and hangars are on the base and I could not gain access. But luckily they are along a public road, so my shots are from there.

Control Tower:

Hangar 1:

Hangar 2:

There are two soldiers in this photo that did not like me taking photographs. They came over to the fence and asked me what I was doing. They are just to the right of the yellow jeep.

Hangar 2 detail:

Intersection of the 4-22 runway and 9-27:

The old runways were pockmarked with round asphalt patches, which I take were the runway light enclosures:

The northeast end of the 4-22 runway is still on the military base:

The 15-33 runway is completely covered with warehouses. I did not photograph these.

The airfield is at 39deg 44'15" N - 86deg 13'51" W

For historical information, here is a link to Paul Freemen's abandoned airfields site: http://goo.gl/YCTsz

TommyU

Default Re: Stout Army Airfield, Indianapolis, Indiana

Excellent Tommy, great to see an airfield from across the pond.

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

A wet and grey day Tommy but interesting pictures. Is the Control Tower visual section WW2 vintage or later?

There are two soldiers in this photo that did not like me taking photographs. They came over to the fence and asked me what I was doing. They are just to the right of the yellow jeep.

Did you plead a constitutional amendment or is it illegal to photograph military establishments externally?

Quote Originally Posted by PETERTHEEATER View Post
    A wet and grey day Tommy but interesting pictures. Is the Control Tower visual section WW2 vintage or later?
    It's a post-war modification.

Did you plead a constitutional amendment or is it illegal to photograph military establishments externally?
    I smiled, waved and drove off in my car before they actually got to me. But if it had come down to it, the President had not claimed this installation 'vital':

US CODE > TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 37

795. Photographing and sketching defense installations

Whenever, in the interests of national defense, the President defines certain vital military and naval installations or equipment as requiring protection against the general dissemination of information relative thereto, it shall be unlawful to make any photograph, sketch, picture, drawing, map, or graphical representation of such vital military and naval installations or equipment without first obtaining permission of the commanding officer of the military or naval post, camp, or station, or naval vessels, military and naval aircraft, and any separate military or naval command concerned, or higher authority, and promptly submitting the product obtained to such commanding officer or higher authority for censorship or such other action as he may deem necessary.
    Besides, the gate guard had just told me to take my photographs from the public road since I could not get on base to take them!

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Good. You know the regulation and it's always useful to smile and quote the reference when challenged!

Thread Information