Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Husbands Bosworth

Default Re: Husbands Bosworth

Hi mate,
    There were these two crashes here actualy in the Bosworth Hall grounds -
    http://www.airfieldinformationexchange.org/community/showthread.php?5684-Bosworth-Hall-(RAF-Husbands-Bosworth)&p=61409#post61409

As far as i can work out i don't think there was ever an incident involving a Lanc taking off or landing at HB. The only local crashes involving HB aircraft (aside from the two in the link above) were Wellingtons. One crashed on the 24th of September 44 at Althorp Park in Northants killing all on board and there was another HB based Wellington lost after it had to make a forced landing at nearby Market Harborough airfield on the 3rd of Feb 1945. All other Wellington's from HB that crashed occured many miles from the airfield or Leic or Northants.

Maybe your dad was looking at local WW2 aircraft crash sites in general and not actually involved with HB as there were quite a few in the area.

Hope this helps,
    Steve

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Vertical photographic-reconnaissance aerial of the airfield at Husbands Bosworth, Leicestershire, during its construction by George Wimpey & Co for Bomber Command. The airfield opened for flying in August 1943, first as a satellite to RAF Market Harborough, and subsequently as the base of No. 85 Operational Training Unit, which remained there until disbandment on 14 June 1945. The Welford and Sulby reservoirs can be seen at lower left.

Courtesy of Imperial War Museum IWM (C 540

Quote Originally Posted by buccaneer66 View Post
    Nicely shows the former route of the public roads compared to now.
    Apparently not long after the airfield closed and when they had reopened the public roads that cross the site a cyclist was travelling through in the late evening when the fog rolled in, he got completely disorientated and lost and didn't make it off the airfield until the following morning spending the whole night riding up and down the peri's and runways trying to get off the airfield!!!!

Thanks for posting that pic up Peter.

Photos of HB during it's wartime days are pretty rare so it's always great too see any -

Thanks to Nigel Bailey-Underwood for sending me this.

Cheers
    Steve

Two undated aerial images of Husbands Bosworth from ARG archives.

Last edited by NJR; 18-06-2012 at 14:56.

Good photes there NJR some times old black & white photes seem to have more of an atmosphere about them than coloured ones
    Regards ,
    Bomber .

Quote Originally Posted by stevie View Post
    Brilliant! Thanks for posting those up Noel.
    No probs, apparantly they were taken mid 1960's.

Anyone planning a trip to HB in the near future? If so I'd love to tag along if at all possible.

Was up there by accident yesterday morning (getting 18-month old daughter off to sleep) watched the gliders for a bit.

I noticed how the road was very long and straight and then spotted the old tower. Asked a farming bloke if it was ok for us to have a wander around in it. Got the ok and spent 20 minutes or so treading carefully inside.

Absolutely loved the atmosphere at HB and the follow up searches on Google.

Background interest is in WW1 but now looking at Bomber Command and trying to follow my Uncle's RAF career as a Lanc pilot and one of the very first members of the Guinea Pig club following a training flight crash.

Thanks folks.

MM

Quote Originally Posted by stevie View Post
    Myself and Hydealfred were there yesterday funnily enough. I live fairly local so let me know when you fancy a wander around and we'll sort out a meet up.
    Cheers
    Steve
    Cheers fella - I'll go when you next go if that's ok. I'll PM you with my contact details. Been to Blaby Wharfe today (passed it everyday for about 20 years without even knowing it was there.

Well, braving the intermittent torrential downpours, Stevie and I ventured forth to ex-RAF Husbands Bosworth earlier today (Sun 29/07/2012) as Stevie had very kindly offered to have a walk round with me on what was my first, proper tour of an ex-RAF site.

Sod's Law immediately made itself known by making my camera pack up after just one shot - how we laughed! After that I had to rely on my phone camera.

Most of the buildings have already been posted up by Stevie: as most of my phone camera pics aren't that good I'll refrain from posting any up.

Fortunately, the ones that do seem to have come out (by some modern miracle) are the ones of the bomb store. This area of the site seemed to have been a first for Stevie as well.

I'll now valiantly endeavour to get them into this thread - so here goes (turns out they've come out as thumbnails - hope you can enlarge them as required):

WP_000040 (640x478).jpg

WP_000042 (640x480).jpg

WP_000043 (640x480).jpg

Does anyone know what these iron rings were for. They seem far too thick to be anchor points for camo/tarpaulin netting: some form of block and tackle arrangement for lifting bombs perhaps?

WP_000045 (640x480).jpg

WP_000046 (640x480).jpg

We reckon that the curved concrete sections were preformed as there is next to nothing under them from the edge of the wall to where it becomes a flat section and therefore supported by the ground.

There are two remaining visible fusing huts but my pics of those might as well have been taken from deep space. I'll let Stevie post those up as I know he's itching to get back there sometime in the near future.

All in all it was an exceptionally interesting and pretty evocative tour round - all that hidden history gets you thinking about the people who have passed through the site in times gone by and indeed the very different era which they lived in.

Thanks again to Stevie.
    Last edited by MethodMan; 29-07-2012 at 17:06.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information