Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Downham Market

Default Downham Market

Somewhat surprised there was no Downham Market thread already.

Have been driving through the old airfield site for over 20 years and the only buildings I have seen that remain are to the south on the A10.,

http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepat...=16&oz=10&gt=1

I haven't got a RSP so couldn't identify them but given the pattern they are probably easy to work out. Pity you can't see the third building between the other two.

This picture was taken from a moving car, luckily behind a tractor.

My new cheap digital compact camera takes pictures instantly which is a blessing.

Over the 20 years the amount of in situ concrete has diminished, although there was not much to begin with (20 years ago) but I think the pile of concrete near the centre of the flying field has been there most of the 20 years.

There must be other buildings remaining but the wife does the driving! That's my one airfield related picture for the year

Default Re: Downham Market

Hello Peter,

next time you are that way nudge the wife onto the 1122 Swaffham road, theres a few buildings of the technical site left along there, including the old guardroom.

Pete

Guess the village of Bexwell has swallowed much of the airfield.

Air10/4038 (1942) reports 'One Bellman - part complete'. 4039 (1944) states Two T2s, one Glider T2, one B1. Guess the 1942 report was incorrect. What's a 'Glider T2'?

Fancy that, have a look at;http://www.flickr.com/photos/swampy_...ter/455650927/, I stood in this building a couple of months ago. Didn't realise I was standing in a piece of history. Must have been a big airfield, as it stretches a fair way along the 1122, from the A10, towards Marham.

Hi Graham,

according to John B Hillings Strike Hard, A Bomber Airfield At War, (ISBN 0-7509-0969-2) initially there were 2 T2s and 1 B1, added later were 3 more T2s for the storage of gliders. hope that is of use?

Pete

Hope this is useful.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's a useful plan Master Bomber, and I'm interested in what's to the right of the main runway.

Being a PFF station, Downham had the mandatory Standard Beam Approach. It also had BABS Mk.II (Lucero) which was replacing SBA in 1944, but unusually it also had BABS Mk.1C (ASVBA) which was normally only found at Coastal Command stations. Wonder why it was fitted, as it could only be used by aircraft fitted with the Air-to-Surface-Vessel radar? I would therefore expect there to be three beacons and they could all be at the eastern end of the main. (Sometimes they were fitted to different runways).

If so this means that the normal approach to the runway would be from the east, which is slightly unusual, but could be to avoid Marham which is just up the road. The latter was earmarked as 'Suitable for SBA and works services to be put in hand' - it was probably never installed.

Default RAF Downham Market

Hi
    I live in Downham Market on the old airfield and have long been fascinated by the airfield and its history
    but to this day i am still trying to find a picture taken from ground level from any direction relating to the old
    Watch Tower that was once there
    Does any one have any pictures that i could see or by
    my be authenticated as i do have an ariel view and i no the general layout

Please get in touch if you have such a photo

Steven Allen

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Default Re: RAF Downham Market

Welcome to AIX Steven, I hope that one of our members can help you.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information