Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Predannack

Default Predannack

Predannack: buildings (esp. tower) and access?

I'm interested in finding out details of any extant buildings at RNAS Predannack, the satellite of RNAS Culdrose. I'd like to know what building types (e.g. drawings numbers) still exist and where abouts on the airfield.

I'm especially interested in the relatively new tower. Does anyone have any details for it, such as dimensions or drawings (or a drawing number), or know where I might find such??

I've driven up to the "main gate" and taken distant photos before, when driving to/from the Lizard, and I understand the coast path goes past/near the large fire dump with all its airframes... but does anyone know how/when one might be able to get a closer look at the tower?? For instance, RNAS Merryfield has a free Open Evening once a year, but does Predannack also have a similar event?

Many thanks

Andy

Last edited by Airtrooper; 11-04-2011 at 23:44.

Default Re: Predannack: buildings (esp. tower) and access?

Good question Airtrooper, not alot on the airfield site that's for sure, it is one of those bases that appears to have been almost completely cleared.
    I believe the original gym and chancel is still there, but now part of private land near a main road, as are various other buildings. The buildings were largely of temporary brick construction and the odd example still survives hear and there, but not much to look at.
    If you give me a moment or two I will have a gander at my site plans and GE and try and figure out what remains.

Predannack airfield is quite easy to access from the coast path on weekends, you should be able to get reasonably close to the tower. If it's a nice day then the ATC gliders will be flying, it is always best to work with these guys that try skulking around in the undergrowth so to speak.
    Everytime I go it is thick fog, hence I have no pictures of the place!

Just comparing plans with GE now, the Gym/Chancel building is on your left as soon as you turn off the main A3083 road and on to the main airfield access lane, furher down it looks like a Sub-Station building has survived.
    Further down the main road towards The Lizard you find another entrance to the airfield, right on the junction is the Station Headquarters, looks like it might be a small industrial unit now, slightly further down the main road from this is either two parachute stores (will have distinctive roof), or one of and a Dinghy store.

It looks like the Coastal type Ops block, along with a Nissen or Romney hut, might still be extent, here http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=50.00....1&r=0&src=msl but now within a farm complex that would be worth seeking out and having a look around if you can.

There are other various TB buildings littered around the airfield, but the vast majority are just bases now, the original machine gun range is current and in use.
    Unfortunately there is little left of the 'Blenheim' and 'Hurricane' type E pens.

This area looks interesting, http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=50.00....4&r=0&src=msl as on the station plans there are no buildings shown at all but the area is marked off as within Air Ministry boundary, it looks like there maybe old mess buildings current there?
    Last edited by mawganmad; 12-04-2011 at 12:42.

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

The HE Bomb Stores (AM Drawing 3164/42) survive and just about all of the road structure of the former bomb stores but, it appears, only building bases. These were not part of the original build and were added later.

http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepat...z=17&oz=7&gt=1

I spy with my little eye something begining with D/F?

The National Trust are offering an opportunity for a behind the scenes look at Predannack Airfield, exploring its history, present use, natural history and management. It's a joint event with the MoD and Defence Estates. It's on Friday 7th October, 2pm - 5pm and costs 2pp. The event is entitled "Boreholes, Bombers and Beef!" For further details or booking phone 01326 561407. I've booked, and would be good to meet anyone else from the Forum at the event.

Default Re: Predannack: buildings esp. tower?

WOW, I would LOVE to go!! If only it were on the weekend! I'd make a day trip.

As it is, would you be willing to take some specific photos on my behalf?? I'd really appreciate it. PM me if you can.

Many thanks

Andy

Some photos from the National Trust event at Predannack Airfield:

Predannack 001.jpg
    The Tower from the main runway
    Predannack 002 Harrier RAF.jpg
    RAF Harrier at the RN Fire Fighting School
    Predannack 003 Sea Harrier.jpg
    Sea Harrier
    Predannack 004 Canberra.jpg
    An old favourite at Predannack - the Canberra
    Predannack 005 recent arrivals.jpg
    Some recent arrivals parked near the Tower
    Last edited by CornwallPhil; 12-10-2011 at 22:19.

Excellent set of photos CornwallPhil, I didn't realise how many Harriers were there! That Canberra has seen better days too.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information