Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Runnymede RAF Memorial.

Default Runnymede RAF Memorial.

A few that I took today.

Default Re: Runnymede RAF Memorial.

A Passenger plane of some-sort is flying above in this last photograph though it is very distant...

One that I forgot to add. There are many like this to different Air Force's etc. All of which are on the ceiling throughout the cloisters.

I have just had this email from David Thompson.

Dear ACA Branch Secretary,

You will be aware of the Air Forces Memorial at Runnymede, England and its importance. You may have visited it.

You may be interested to know that its tranquil setting is under threat from development. The approach road from the main A328 road to the Memorial, Coopers Hill Lane, passes next to Brunel University’s site. It is this campus that is being developed. The developers are not confining their development to the foot print of the current buildings, but are developing Eastwards towards the Memorial. Closest to the memorial will be a new student block with 528 bedrooms. Along, and overlooking the approach road itself, which passes through the completely rural Conservation Area and across the village green, is to be erected a clearly visible affordable housing enclave.

As you may know, the memorial and the campus site share a common boundary. The existing buildings on the campus are visible through the trees from both ground level in the memorial grounds, even with leaves on the trees, and from the tower. In winter, the detrimental effect is greater. Building a 528 student block nearer to the memorial will only exacerbate this. The peaceful rural approach to the memorial will be compromised by the affordable housing enclave.

The application may be viewed through the links on the Runnymede Borough website at this link. (NB, Runnymede have just changed their provider for planning pages, and in the shake down these links are intermittent.)

It would be possible to build this development away from the approach road and within the existing footprint, with a completely neutral effect on the Memorial itself, and the approach to it. But that is not what the developers have applied for.

Many ACA branches and members objected to a mobile phone mast, that was to be erected along Coopers Hill Lane in 2002, and would be glimpsed from the memorial. Fortunately, your objections contributed to it being refused.

Friends of the Green [at Englefield Green] feel this development, as proposed, will have a detrimental effect on the whole area, including the approach to the Memorial and the Memorial site itself.

If you agree, you might like to consider objecting to this development.

Time is tight, the application is likely to go before the Planning Committee in mid November, but there is still time to object.

If you would like to object, you should write, quoting Application Number “ RU.11/0207 Runnymede Campus” to The Director of Technical Services, Runnymede Borough Council, Station Road, Addlestone, KT15 2AH, or email the case officer at zoe.watts@runnymede.gov.uk , again quoting “ RU.11/0207 Runnymede Campus”.

Thank you.

The Friends of the Green, Englefield Green

Now I didnt know that this memorial is only for those missing in Britain and Europe. So is there a memorial for those missing in say South East Asia.

But I do know that the land was owned by Mr Millington-Drake, he was British consul in Montevideo during the battle of the river plate.

More infor supplied by David Thompson

Dear ACA Branch,

Thank you for your magnificent response. Many of you have mentioned that none of the links on Runnymede Councils website work. We are persuing this with RBC.

For your information, I attach the Planning Statement - the applicant is clearly worried about the effect the development will have on the Memorial, as they go to great lengths to explain how mitigating measures will, completely inadequately in our view, resolve the detrimental effect to its amenity. Also a plan and a Google Earth picture. On this picture you can see how the development is closing in on the Memorial to the East and will affect the rural approach road. On the Google Earth picture the red outline is the development of the car park and part of the playing field with the student block nearest to the Memorial cross hatched. The yellow is the enclave which will have a detrimental effect on the approach road.

I hope this helps.

With very best wishes,

Andrew Telford

Founder member FoG
    PlanningStatement.pdf

A few that I took today at Runnymede.

The last shot shows one of these two memorial boards that's just inside the entrance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information