Thread: Lilbourne

Default Lilbourne

I've been meaning to photograph this old WW1 airfield for ages after driving passed it so many times. Unsuprisingly little still survives but i thought it was important to start a thread about it never the less.

Lilbourne was used as early as 1930 by No.4 Squadron but It would appear to have been used much more heavily from 1916 until around 1920 when it was used by 55 Res. Squadron and various other training Squadrons. The main aircraft to use the site were SE 5 a's and Avro 504's.

This big lorry park was once the Administration and Living Quarters -

A view across what was once the flying field -

I've been facinated as to whether this building is actually related to to the airfield or not. It's certainly placed in the right place in what was the Hangar and workshop area -

A general view across the old airfield -

Not exactly the most spectacular pics i admit but i hope you enjoyed looking never the less.
    Cheers
    Steve

Default Re: Lilbourne

Is this location down on the old A5 near Rugby Steve?

Can't be too far from Kelmarsh hall that looks like one of their boards up advertising kelmarsh country fair in that last picture.

Thats correct Denis.
    The A5 certainly doesn't make it an easy airfield to photograph. It's always very busy and the grass verge isn't exactly very wide. It's certainly not an airfield i'd recommend anybody look at to be honest. Purley from a safety point of view (and theres not a great deal to see anyway). I had the benefit of knowing exactly where to look for the site so could find a place to safely park up nearby and quickly pop over. The site is completly fenced off as well so i had to make do with views over a gate on the roadside.

The old site's situated very close to all those huge aerials that are everywhere round there -

http://www.content-delivery.co.uk/av...Lilbourne.html

Steve
    Last edited by stevie; 18-04-2011 at 11:20.

The bases of the hangars and other buildings show up especially well in the 2005 GE coverage.
    The Nissen hut overlaps the floors of two of the WWI huts.

All the best,
    PB

Im guessing that the airfield wasnt used in wwii due to the Daventry masts being so near?

The GPO took over the site, and adjoining land, in the first half of the 1920s to build the Hilmorton (Rugby) radio station.

What's interesting to me about Lilbourne is that in WW1 is was smack in the middle of Rugby racecourse, though it seems there was only one day's
    racing each year. That continues to this day, with the Atherstone Hunt point to point meeting each May. You can see some of the fences on the
    photos on the thread here.

Thread Information