Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salisbury Hall

Default Salisbury Hall

The Mosquito Aircraft Museum - De Havilland Aircraft Heritage Centre

I had a very pleasant trip here on Sunday and wanted to post some shots up. I couldn't find where to put them so had a word with REF and he suggested here.

This is truly a superb museum with much history relating to the De Havilland Company who built some truly iconic aircraft. The Mosquito was designed at Salisbury Hall with the prototype being built nearby at the site. The star attractions are obviously the Mosquito's not least the Prototype W4050 which is at present under restoration. The museum scores in opening up cockpits so that you can get good shots at the sharp end. Well worth a visit if you are near or even if your not it is worth travelling to.

Dove 6 - D-IFSB - former airfield system calibration aircraft

Heron 2D - G-AOTI

Vampire T.11 - XJ772 with Chipmunk T.10 - WP790 in the background

Prototype Mosquito - W4050 - E0234 - under restoration

Comet 2 Simulator (although the writing says Comet 4)

HS125 Srs 1 - G-ARYC

The curious Cierva C.24 - G-ABLM

Comet C.2(R) - XK695 - formerly of 51 Squadron Wyton

Mosquito FB.6 - TA122 - under restoration

Chipmunk T.10 - WP790 & Mosquito TT.35 - TA634

Last edited by hydealfred; 20-04-2011 at 09:04.

Default Re: Salisbury Hall

Very valid Fred! the prototype first flew from the field next to the museum, that counts as an airfield
    It is a great place to visit, I think it is right to say that the FB under restoration will have engine runs from time to time if all goes well according to one of the engineeers when we last spoke. It was this museum that donated the prop hub and blade for our Hunsdon memorial, The chap in charge, Philip Birtles has also wrote the odd book or two

I visisted here in the early nineties (despite being born in St Albans Id didnt know the place existed until about 25 years ago!) and I will be paying a return visit soon.

And a former owner of Salisbury Hall was Sir Nigel Gresley who had a flock of Mallards in the grounds.

Interesting point that Canberra - he went on to name some of the A4's after birds - Mallard - Kingfisher - Bittern and so on.

Sir Nigel Gresley was a very keen ornithologist, and the Mallard was his favourit bird. Thats why Mallard was selected for the steam record run in 1938.

Arrow Re: Salisbury Hall

I thought that this piece of obscure aeronautica may interest some on the Forum ( especially given the popularity of the 'Leuchars' thread ).

I occasionally help out at the Mossie Museum and sometimes drive everyone mad by dragging out long-forgotten relics from the stores and elsewhere. Tucked away this weekend I came across a terribly rotten piece of wood and fabric but to me, something rather historic and special ; a fair-sized chunk of BOAC Mosquito. Only ten of these operated and the subject of 'BOAC Mosquitoes' has become something of a cult.

Anyhow, I carefully took it out into the daylight for the first time in many years to be photographed : -

It's not every day you find a piece of such a rare bird......

A very rare piece of aeronautica indeed.

Default London Colney. DeHavilland Museum

Door Track that is all that remains of the hangar where the first 2 Airpseed Horsa Gliders were constructed.

Door Track that is all that remains of the hangar where the first 5 prototype Mosquitos were constructed.

The Museum Shop which is now the only remaining original building at the site.

Default Re: London Colney. DeHavilland Museum

I live quite literaly ten minutes from this place, I have even flown from the microlight field behind it, but have never looked at the museum, must get myself down there soon.

Default Re: LONDON COLNEY - Salisbury Hall DH Museum Memorials

We called here today as it's the last open time for this year. Quite a few visitors at 10.40am.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information