Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WARGRAVE - B-17 (41-24575) Crash

Default WARGRAVE - B-17 (41-24575) Crash

Default Re: B-17 Crash near Henley on Thames.

Sorry about the first copy of the 1993 newspaper story, second one from the Henley Standard of July 22nd 1977 covers most of it. This is under the heading, Airmen Who died for Wargrave. How ironical that nine of the ten crew members should die in an appropriately named place. I have made several enquires as to any memorial that should definately be here. As of yet there is nothing that I know of... My small display at home with the 384th BG Memorial window from Grafton Underwood church.

Default Re: B-17 Crash near Henley on Thames.

Checking through Roger Freemans Mighty Eighth War Diary for the same date it mentions this crash, also the crash of another B-17. This time from the 305th BG that crashed nearby at Shiplake Bend eight crew killed. Strange theres no mention in either newspaper??

Default Memorial too B17 crew at Wargrave. Berks.

Earlier this week I was informed that no memorial of any kind exists to the 384th BG crew who were killed around Wargrave on November 13th 1943. I have posted-up some information plus my little photograph memorial too this crew on here somewhere quite a while back. Well it's about time that this crew are remembered in some respectable way !! Maybe after re-awakening this memory too those in the local History Group something may at last start to move along these lines...

Default Re: Memorial too B17 crew at Wargrave. Berks.

....Or you could Paul PM sent.

As a matter of interest, the bottle supporting the Stars + Stripes flag behind the photograph of this crew came from the Little Staughton dump area. It's an American Hair-cream bottle given too me by a friend from the ARS..Aircrew Remembrance Society, about 10 years ago.

Sadly five 8th AF aircraft crashed in the area after flying through a thunderstorm. Being in formation the storm couldn't be avoided by some. From memory, one crashed near Chipping Norton, one at Princes Risborough, Wargrave, struggling now mmmm, Great Hasely, can't remember the last at the moment but, I'll hunt out the info and post it later. Sorry about that.

From the AAF Overseas Accident report index for that day:

B-17F 41-24575 544BS 384BG Fatal Crash Wargrave
    B-17G 42-31038 367BS 306BG Fatal Crash: Weather Longwick
    B-17F 42-30821 407BS 92BG Fatal Crash: Structural Failure Marlborough Farm, North End
    B-17F 42-3142 368BS 306BG Fatal Crash: Weather Great Halsey
    B-17F 42-30213 562BS 388BG Bailed Out: Engine Failure Near Beccles
    All the best,
    PB

Just did a bit on the Halifax crash in Wallingford so I'll check out Wargrave next, Prices Risbrough and Great Hasely are not so far away either so if you post the info I'll look.

Quote Originally Posted by spuduka View Post
    Just did a bit on the Halifax crash in Wallingford so I'll check out Wargrave next, Prices Risbrough and Great Hasely are not so far away either so if you post the info I'll look.
    The B17 at Risborough maybe the one flown by Clyde (Sparky) Cosper. A memorial exists to him by Riborough's library. A few years ago I used to work at Gt Haseley, never knew anything about a crash there, but I'll make some enquires.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information