Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The National Archives (TNA)

Default Re: THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES

Ah, I didn't realise that was called gold service. All very useful info as TNA is a fair drive for most.
    Wouldn't want to use that service for an ORB though!

Ask for a quote, I dare you! You don't have to pursue it

Only if I can assume the identity of PNK!

Quote Originally Posted by PNK
    I was tempted to get a quote for copying all of AIR 10/4039 but I suspect it would run into hundreds of pounds!
    It's on my list of to-do items, but don't hold your breath. I've already started on AIR 10/7392 / 3

AIR10/7407 accompanies the above - RAF non airfield stations including radio, radar and signal sites in the UK 1955-58 Some good stuff in it.

Graham

I once asked for a quote to copy an ORB and it came to thousands!

I must say that now they let you photograph documents on you visit and provide those spiffy camera stands life has been much easier. I only get to the PRO maybe once every two years and I usally go from dawn to dusk without a break just photographing page after page to digest on the flight home.

I took stock the other day and realised I've got over 450Gb/87,000 photographed pages now.

I have been to Kew several times researching my Blackbushe book. The descriptions are very vague indeed. I was searching for the plans the USAF had to use Blackbushe. The one file that mentioned this had almost nothing I then came across the complete plans in a file on building the new terminal in 1953.I ordered a copy of the 1945 terminal plans and although they were 17 they did arrive within a week.
    At least Kew allows digital photos unlike the Hampshire PRO in Winchester. They have the architects plans for the 1953 Blackbushe terminal, they are massive and have no way of copying them as they wont allow photos and don't have a printer/scanner big enough to copy them.
    Strange that the station ORB's are at Kew but I think the squadron ORB's are at Hendon, anybody confirm?

Quote Originally Posted by Farnboroughrob
    Strange that the station ORB's are at Kew but I think the squadron ORB's are at Hendon, anybody confirm?
    All ORBs are kept by the Air Historical Branch (AHB) at Northolt until they are 30 years old, they are then sorted and passed to The National Archives or RAF Museum. I would guess that RAFM has the squadron records as more pertinent to RAF flying.

You hardly hear of the AHB being used for research, they have masses of data and the stuff I've had from them in the past is unique.

I suspect if it ain't on the internet it doesn't exist.

How does one find out what the AHB holds? More importantly how do you access it?

Quote Originally Posted by PNK
    I suspect if it ain't on the internet it doesn't exist.
    How does one find out what the AHB holds? More importantly how do you access it?
    I used the good old phone! Phone, 020 8833 8155, or E-Mail, ahb.raf@btconnect.com
    It is very difficult to find out what the AHB holds, in theory they hold most RAF info up to 30 years old, but I know for a fact that they have material way older. Generally speaking the 30+ years material gets passed from them to TNA, RAFM and IWM.

This is brief intro page to them http://www.airpowerstudies.co.uk/airhis ... branch.htm

Hoping to pay my first visit to TNA this month. The rules say I can't view original records unless I have a readers ticket (shame I wanted to copy some ORBs).
    I aim to apply for a readers ticket on the day (armed with passport and 50 supporting documents).
    What can I view that is airfield related on my first visit that is not original documents?
    Long way to go just to get a ticket to use next time!

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread Information