Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newmarket Heath

Default Re: Newmarket Heath

Quote Originally Posted by John Cooper View Post
    So we are getting there! It would be nice to think as I travel along the A14 towards Cambridge from Bury St Eds that on my left beyond the Service Station looking towards the Rowley Mile was where the first jet aircraft took off in the UK, but I'm always prepared to concede defeat if it were the second one, why not!
    Absolutely - there is always something a bit magic about visiting an old site, and remembering that something very important took place at the spot you are looking at. The well-knowns: Dambusters at Scampton, Bader at Duxford, Tirpitz from Lossie spring to mind, but finding a snippet from others, like NH, is a real bonus.

Graham

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Graham, you still haven't explained why your Avatar is carrying half of a ripe papaya under his arm.

Five minutes of silent Pathe footage apparently shot at Newmarket:

"CRASHED AIRCRAFT RESCUE DRILL 1946"
    Crashed aircraft rescue demonstration. Newmarket, Suffolk.

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=57210

All the best,
    PB

This building is located on the road between Exning and Burwell. It isn't that far from the site of the bomb dump at Newmarket Heath. It looks Airfieldy to me! Any ideas?

I wonder, if it is too far from the airfield, if it might be associated with an AA or searchlight site?

looks like a VHF / DF type building? I have seen other similar ones elsewhere that are a similar distance from the nearest airfield (if that makes sense!)

An amazing piece of film . many thanks for posting the link PB.

Question Re: Newmarket Heath

A question if I may folks. My late father was posted to 31 Base Newmarket Heath on 23 July 1945 as a Flying Officer "Under training instructor supernumerary". He also appears to have spent some time during this period at 32 Base Mildenhall also as an "Under training instructor supernumerary", but the question remains, what was he under training to instruct in?

He was an Air Gunner and had completed his first operational tour on Lancasters in June 1944. Following this he was commissioned and trained on various "radio techniques" in preparation for his role in radio countermeasures with 199 squadron.

Following his time at Newmarket Heath/Mildenhall, in September 1945 he was posted to Highgate on an Intelligence Course.

Has anyone any idea what training was carried out at Newmarket Heath?

Steve

Strange one this, Steve.

Action stations Vol 1 reports that that in 1945 Newmarket was home to the Bombing Development Unit and 1483 Gunnery Training Flight, both of which departed to Feltwell in February 1945. Flying also ceased in February and on 1 March, 54MU moved in until 1948. It was a Repair and Salvage Unit. (RAF Flying Training and Support Units confirms this and adds no further possibilities)

Some photos I took on 25 August 2008

1 - Airfield view

2 - B1 Hangar

3 - B1 Hangar

4 - B1 Hangar

5 - B1 Hangar

Was this on the race course My father was at Rowley mile which was part of Stradishall. Often spoke about this being a nice place with the night life in Newmarket.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information