Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newmarket Heath

Default Re: Newmarket Heath

looks like a VHF / DF type building? I have seen other similar ones elsewhere that are a similar distance from the nearest airfield (if that makes sense!)

An amazing piece of film . many thanks for posting the link PB.

Question Re: Newmarket Heath

A question if I may folks. My late father was posted to 31 Base Newmarket Heath on 23 July 1945 as a Flying Officer "Under training instructor supernumerary". He also appears to have spent some time during this period at 32 Base Mildenhall also as an "Under training instructor supernumerary", but the question remains, what was he under training to instruct in?

He was an Air Gunner and had completed his first operational tour on Lancasters in June 1944. Following this he was commissioned and trained on various "radio techniques" in preparation for his role in radio countermeasures with 199 squadron.

Following his time at Newmarket Heath/Mildenhall, in September 1945 he was posted to Highgate on an Intelligence Course.

Has anyone any idea what training was carried out at Newmarket Heath?

Steve

Strange one this, Steve.

Action stations Vol 1 reports that that in 1945 Newmarket was home to the Bombing Development Unit and 1483 Gunnery Training Flight, both of which departed to Feltwell in February 1945. Flying also ceased in February and on 1 March, 54MU moved in until 1948. It was a Repair and Salvage Unit. (RAF Flying Training and Support Units confirms this and adds no further possibilities)

Some photos I took on 25 August 2008

1 - Airfield view

2 - B1 Hangar

3 - B1 Hangar

4 - B1 Hangar

5 - B1 Hangar

Was this on the race course My father was at Rowley mile which was part of Stradishall. Often spoke about this being a nice place with the night life in Newmarket.

Very useful, and amazing how a Bomber Command station (Satt of Mildenhall) survived with no hard runways. The airfield was used for a number of trials throughout WWII (Jets, Lucero etc).

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Quote Originally Posted by tarkey View Post
    Was this on the race course My father was at Rowley mile which was part of Stradishall. Often spoke about this being a nice place with the night life in Newmarket.
    Yes, it covered much of the racecourse but didn't interfere with the nags:

Post Re: Newmarket Heath

The crew that got me involved in 75 (NZ) Sqn were killed on take off at RAF Newmarket Heath on 16 Dec 1943. Heres the link to their page on the Aircrew Remembrance Society site http://www.aircrewremembrancesociety...=de&q=franklin

Heres the plaque for 75 Sqn at Newmarket Heath which is by the entrance to the stand:
    Newmarket plaque.jpg

I'm new to this informative group and am currently doing archaeological work that includes the old airfield. I have a vertical aerial photo taken on 9 May 1946 and it is obviously later in date than the one here. By May 1946, the west part of the munitions store served as a graveyard for bits of aircraft. These may have been dismembered here or it may have been an overflow dump for bits coming from the Marshalls, Cambridge where they'd been taking aircraft apart since mid-1945. Do any of you know about this aspect of airfield use?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information