Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OMAN - Salalah

SuperMod

Default OMAN - Salalah

RAF Salalah

Copy of MS-control%20tower%20salalah (Small).jpg
    ATC. Local controller in the glassed area, Approach in a little enclosed area at the rear.
    postie-aerial-photograph-2-web.jpg
    SOAF area in the centre, RAF area by the control tower and the left of the road on the left.

Found these on the wbsite for 55FST and was givern permission to show them
    Last edited by Richard Flagg; 27-01-2012 at 14:27.

Default Re: RAF Salalah

Hi Jim, Advised by webmaster of the FST site that there might be a link by ARG to those brown-knees days of RAF Salalah.
    The 2nd photo above is taken from "A posties tale" on the FST webpage and will form a part of an RE (Postal) contribution to our efforts, keeping all personnel stationed at RAF Salalah, happy mail-wise during the Dhofar campaign. I was there from Nov 71 until Jul 1972, I have some photos of RAF Sgts Mess members, partuicularly MT - as they helped move our Mails to / from the pan.

SuperMod

SALALAH 1971006.jpg
    Genral view of camp
    SALALAH 1971001.jpg
    SSQ. The tent is the operating theatre, and the hut next to it was the casualty ward. The barrels are for blast and shrapnel protection.

Hello John,
    We must have just missed each other. My time was from Feb to Nov 71. I was a J/T LFitt GC in GRSF. These two photos are some of the few I left of the place. Most of the others seem to have got lost over the years, thats why I was glad to see the FST web site.
    Last edited by Jim Hope; 24-05-2011 at 11:47. Reason: forgot to annotate photos

Hi again Jim,
    New to this game, as regards showing my additional photos - to those on the FST site, grateful for any hints / nudges
    Off air now, back on am tomorrow (probably) cheers, John
    Last edited by John the Postie; 18-05-2011 at 06:04.

Hopefully I have added 4 images today, they are myself and 3 of the RAMC / FST Sgts Mess members at a Bar B Q around about July 1972, out of sequence is the last RAF Herc departing March 1977. The camp swimming pool (1975), a trip to the beach (1972), I am sure both my RAF colleagues would have been linked to the MT section, also "pass the port" at a Sgts Mess dining night.
    Attached Images Attached Images

hi good photos they take me back ,i was in salalah when you where there from feb 72 till dec 72,i dont know if you remember
    me paul bell,i was in the stores
    regards
    paul

SuperMod

Hello Paul and welcom to AiX. You might like to introduce yourself to the rest of the memebers. Have you any particular interests or just general?. I'm afraid we wouldn't have met as I was there in 1971 and you say your time was 1972. As you were a supplier you may remember Keith Daly as he was there in 1971/1972. He came from Chivenor and returned there, where we met up again. I'm afraid keith died in an RTA in early 1973 and was the last airmen to be buried in the CWGC plot in the lacal churchyard. Here are a few more photos that may bring back a few memories. I will thank 55 FST for allowing me to use some of their pictures. 034 RAF Salalah mine clearance Saracen via 55 FSt.jpg 035 RAF Salalah mine clearance Saracen vis 55 FST.jpg 037 RAF Salalah slit trench 1971.jpg 041 RAF Salalah Gun Line 81mm Mortar 1971.jpg 042 RAF Salalah Gun Line 81mm Mortar outgoing 1971.jpg 043 RAF Salalah Gun Line 81mm mortar landing 1971.jpg

Hi gents. Are you aware that there is now a Veterans Association for those who served in Masirah and Salalah? The first reunion was held in Harrogate at the beginning of October this year. A website is currently being constructed to record the memories of those who served there with a facility to post photographs.

I will post a link as soon as the site is up and running.

SuperMod

Hi Paf. I had never heard of the association so will look forward to seeing the website

47 of us were at the reunion. Association membership is open to all who served at either station, be they Army RAF or civilian. Initially membership had been restricted to those who served between 1971 and 74 but has now been widened to cover the entire life span of the two stations. I will keep you updated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information