Thread: Alton Barnes

Default Alton Barnes

This was received from Gil Dowdall-Brown via the ARG website.

re Alton Barnes airfield defences. Following my earlier enquiry I hve learned that the group of 3 p/b on the unclassified road between Stanton St Bernard and Alton Barnes in Wiltshire are NOT on the Defence of Britain database. They are on the NMR one under UI 1420943/44/45 and are clearly visible on Google Earth. What is urgently needed is proper recording as they are in poor condition. They are however of unique design, having 2 entrances and in one case a concave brick wall which I have never seen before. I am no longer able to scramble around taking measurements, but perhaps you have a member living nearby who can. Care must be taken as there are hidden holes in the vegetation surrounding them.

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Default Re: RAF Alton Barnes

This looks like a job for cptpies yet, I think these are the three on the DofB Database as S0006468/69/70 described as Pentagon?

tigger

Alton Barnes is featured on my website - I have some better photos of the defence position.

Richard
    Last edited by Richard Drew; 17-08-2011 at 21:22.

I was wondering about this structure on the other side of the field from the structures by the road. Its between two more airfield pillboxes and not far from, a better built, defence line pillbox on the bank of the canal. I was wondering whether it could be the remains of a Pickett Hamilton fort, but the hole doesn't look large enough. The structure is about five feet deep.

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

This must be it:

http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepat...z=20&oz=8&gt=1

Wrong place for a PH fort but might be the base for an Allan -Williams turret?

Quote Originally Posted by PETERTHEEATER View Post
    This must be it:

http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepat...z=20&oz=8&gt=1

Wrong place for a PH fort but might be the base for an Allan -Williams turret?

That's the one. An Alan-Williams turret is a distinct possibility, though the entrance is different to any pictures I've seen. Here's a closer picture. Note the notches around the rim. Would that have something to do with metal ring the turret ran on? The damage to the edge of the hole could be to do with it being removed at some point.

Here's a couple of the airfield pillboxes here. The embrasures are facing toward the canal. Note: I approached all these structures using the tramlines in the crop.

One of the stopline pillboxs on the canal bank nearby. The construction quality is much better here

Thread Information