Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Wymeswold

Default Wymeswold

Thought i'd pop these pics of Wymeswold up that i took a while back.

It was great to have the opportunity to explore this former RAF station as theres quite a lot still intact!

Wymeswold had a varied history from the Dakota's, Wellingtons and Oxfords of the war years, The Meteors, Hunters and Canberras of the 1950's through to the Sabres, t-33's and Viscounts of the 1960's when the airfield was used by Field Aircraft Services for aircraft repairs and overhauls.

The main runway. Both ends of the runway had Operational Readiness Platforms added hense the sheer wide-ness.

One of the three remaining hangers still standing at Wymeswold.

It's a shame but the control tower really has started to deteriorate in recent years.

It was nice to come across this placed in one of the towers window frames.
    Last edited by stevie; 23-07-2009 at 03:17.

Heres a view of the huge Aircraft Servicing Platform..

..and from the other end looking back towards the tower.

The water tower. Still standing in good condition.

The former technical site is now used as an industrial site and it's great to see that many of the old airfield buildings have been put to good use here.
    Last edited by stevie; 23-07-2009 at 03:19.

Some more of the huts either side of the peri track next to the control tower.

Another shot here of the massive runway threshold.
    Last edited by stevie; 23-07-2009 at 03:20.

Really does look like a good place, Noel has been there as well. There can't be many places left that have as much left as Wymeswold. Did you get out and photograph the other bits in the surrounding countryside as well?

By the way, The first shot in your third post shows the NFE Store (left) and the Floodlight Tractor & Trailer Shed (right)

Cheers Rich. I was wondering what they were for but wasn't sure. Is the building in the second pic (The building losing it's roof) used for storing the fire truck?? I always get these mixed up with NFE sheds.

Of all the places that i've visited in Leicestershire Northamptonshire (some of) Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire, Bottesford is probably the only other site that has so much still to see today! (Airfields that i've visited anyway.)

I do have more pics in and around Wymeswold. Not had the chance to upload them into my computer yet. Will do over the weekend

Quote Originally Posted by REF
    The NFE shed is usually a three bay shed. Where abouts is the building in you second photo (the one with half a roof!) ?
    Richard - the NFE shed IS a three bay building! It has the floodlight and tractor shed next to it, as usual.

The technical site, as mentioned, is now a thriving industrial estate. One of the hangars is an indoor karting centre. Some of the buildings are fenced off but in excellent condition and those which are still used retain much of their character. The parachute store has been reclad but still retains its shape.

The airfield site (including the tower, I think, although derelict) is used by a company called Everyman Racing. They hold regular circuit tuition days as well as "run what you brung" days and also have a rally school, with the loose sections being in between the excellent runways.

The tower is not easy to access and NJR and self didn't bother trying to get to it whilst we were last there as there was track day in progress. I don't think they encourage spectators!

Chris

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Stevie,

The second pic in your first post is an airfield lightning transformer. That is to say a unitary transformer; the voltage in the secondary winding is the same as the primary.

This may seem odd since the purpose of a transformer, usually, is to step the voltage up or down.

Each runway light fitting had one of these because the runway light were wired in series. Consequently if a single filament lamp in the series burned out then all the lights in the same series would have gone out.

So, the circuit was designed with a transformer at each lamp to maintain power to other lamps if one (or more) burned out.

Carnaby is the expert in this field but I found out practically because I dismantled all the main runway and approach wiring at Weston Zoyland in the mid '60s.

Peter H

Thanks for the kind comments everyone. I have to say Wymeswold is a fave of mine.

Rich - The hut in question is next to the tower. Theres another shot of it in my first post. The first piccy of the tower that i posted. Hope that helps!

Thanks Pete also for that info regarding the runway lighting. I was quite intrigued by the light fittings etc at the end of the runways. Cheers mate.

Stevie, I'm not 100% sure in that case, best guess would be an emergency vehicle shed but perhaps someone else can confirm this for definate.

The hut looks like a crash tender hut?

Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information