Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Wymeswold

Stevie, I'll take a look. I know I've got one of a down on it's luck JP that had a nose wheel failure. That pertains more to Syerston as it was a 2FTS machine but it most definitely had it's incident at WD. I remember watching the JPs as a six year old skipping over the boundary fence and thinking - I could do that...

That would be great if you could dig any pics out mate. Cheers.

That would have been in the days when RAF Syerston used Wymeswold as a satellite airfield for circuits & bumps. I think they had Piston Provosts and then later the Jet Provost using Wymeswold's runway. I wish i had seen the airfield in it's active days!

Default Wymeswold -> Syerston

Wymeswold was indeed a RLG for 2FTS based at Syerston. It was used from 1960 until 1969 / 70 in that capacity so the Piston Provost days (of 1, 22 and 2 FTS) from Syerston were well and truly over and during that time I think Tollerton was used as an RLG. I'm not entirely sure whether the Piston Provosts ever used Wymeswold "unofficially" between 1955 and 1960. During 2 FTS tenure Wymeswold was also visited by Cranwell based JPs as well. The last RAF flying I can remember at Wymeswold was a fantastically noisy 1 Sqn detachment of 3 Harrier GR1 in around September 1970
    Last edited by Praesta; 06-04-2013 at 14:06.

Default WYMESWOLD undated

Hawkeye001

Default Re: RAF Wymeswold - MERGED

Went for a trip to Wymeswold yesterday with Stevie.

We had a good day and here is a selection of my pictures of the tower.

Enjoy and please feel free to comment!!

Regards,

HawkEye001

Default Re: Wymeswold, Leicestershire

Aerial photo from August 2003 - Source unknown

Default Re: Wymeswold, Leicestershire

Here again is my only photograph of Wymeswold tower which seemed to disappear a while ago. Regards the programme The Watchtower, I recorded that off BBC 2 on it's first showing about 1984? I watch that at least six times a year.. It's Superb !!! I've also got a couple of books by Jack Currie...Very Good too !!.

Default Re: Wymeswold

Thought i'd give Waddington Air Show a miss today and make about my 100th return to Wymeswold instead. A wise decision i think. The place had such a great atmosphere today especially as the sun was setting. Just thought i'd share a few pics -

The tower watches as i search for the old signal square -

Can't believe i've never noticed this in the doorway of the tower on my many visits here in the past -

Not to sure why theres this aerial thing on top of the tower.

After hacking through some heavy jungle like undergrowth i found two buildings side by side. It was to thick with undergrowth to get a pic of the outside! Once inside it would appear that there some sort of generator buildings or something!?! -

I've still not managed to cover this whole site yet. Theres loads of goodies hidden away at Wymeswold i've still not explored. Got to find the Battle Hq and some of the communial site buildings next.

Cheers
    Steve
    Last edited by stevie; 23-07-2009 at 03:28.

Found two more of Wymeswold tower, probably no-different to the one I posted before? but, as I can't find it, thought that I'd show these two anyway.

Heres a collection of pictures from another adventure at Wymeswold this afternoon (17/10/09).

I've tried to include some building photos that haven't already featured in this thread so far.

This T-2 below (which used to be used by Rolls Royce for a while when the airfield was still active) has recently been re-clad. It makes it look so much more featurless and warehouse like. Removed bits of the original can be seen just on the right of the picture in a rather sad looking pile.

MT Building
    Last edited by stevie; 19-10-2009 at 01:35.

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread Information