Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woodvale

Default Woodvale

I thought its about time this airfield got a mention, its amazed me that its still open. Mind you AFAIK it still doesnt have any runway lighting, and I saw in RAF news that its been awarded the freedom of the borough of Sefton.

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Default Re: Woodvale

I spent a happy Summer Camp under canvas on the dunes to the west in 1958 as part of my RAF Halton apprenticeship. Reveille was provided by THUM Flight Mosquitos but the sound of Merlins at full power was the signal to get up and look!

Quote Originally Posted by canberra View Post
    I thought its about time this airfield got a mention...
    Mind you AFAIK it still doesnt have any runway lighting
    Totally agree with the first, Canberra. Drove past it a month ago for the first time but dudn't have time to stop.
    In WWII in had Drem Mk.2 lighting and was earmarked for Contact Lighting.
    In 1970 it had Goosenecks / portable electrics, and strangely VASIs.

Regret not getting a copy of Aldon ferguson's excellent RAF Woodvale
    Last edited by Carnaby; 05-06-2011 at 20:20. Reason: typo

My first ever flight was in a Chipmunk of 10AEF from Woodvale in 76 so the place will always have memories for me.

Regards the book Graham , there still appears to be plenty of copies around ; http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sear...vale&x=53&y=10

The cover image is of the last edition and I think the print format was slight larger too with the original being an A5 size booklet in 1975ish . I know Aldon was an ARG member and possibly still is ?

There were a few books published by MAS in the early 70s with similar styled covers. I bough them a soon a they came out. Woodvale was one but blowed if I can recall the others, Sealand was maybe one? Certainly the MAS airfield list of 1971/2 was the first totally airfield related publication I bought - still got it but it is covered with notes, ink and pen markings etc.

The MAS , Merseyside Aviation Society , were quite prolific publishers of aviation enthusiasts publications back in the 60's , 70's and 80's and I well remember the UK Airfield Guide , an A5 green paperback cover edited I think by Phil Butler ? I'm at work at present so don't have my copy in front of me . Other publications included an airfield history of Shawbury also by Aldon Ferguson , but I can't recall the Sealand one ? , a UK or British Air Arms plus a poster of same , UK Glider Register and of course Wrecks & Relics which I think notches up it's 50th anniversary quite soon ? A little later came On Guard and British Homebuilt Aircraft both edited by Ken Ellis . The authors of some of these books have also become well known names to aviation enthusiasts ; Phil Butler , Ken Ellis , Aldon P Ferguson , George Jones and our own Dave Smith . Perhaps MAS deserves it's own thread in the Media Research section ?

I actually bought all three of the books over 30 years ago, blimey I had hair then! I thought it was stretching things to class Shawbury as being in the north west.

Topic: Woodvale 70th- Open Day. (Read 632 times)
    woodvalewarrior
    Woodvale 70th- Open Day.
    Thread Started on May 20, 2011, 4:32pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    On Sunday the 3rd July RAF Woodvale will be holding an open day to celebrate 70 years of the base. Entry is between 1 and 5 pm and will be free. This will be followed by an evening concert priced at 6.

http://home.btconnect.com/woodvaleco...s/rafflyer.pdf

http://home.btconnect.com/woodvaleco...rafleaflet.pdf
    Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 3:44pm by woodvalewarrior

Copied from NWAN forum
    jbmack

Woodvale UK MIL AIP - 6 Jul 2006
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information