Thread: Army Camps / Barracks Cumbria

Default Army Camps / Barracks Cumbria

Adrian Camp Carlisle ? WWII Army Camp

Carlisle, 9 The Crescent WWII Carlisle Sub-Area HQ

Carlisle, Eden Hay Cavendish Terrace WWII Carlisle Sub-District HQ

Carlisle Racecourse
    WWII US Army Staging Camp used by African/American soldiers only (camp capacity 250 personnel)

Durranhill Camp, Carlisle WWII Border Regiment Training Camp

Farleton Fell ? Volunteer/TF Annual Camp reported to be in Northumberland, likely to be near Milnthorpe on Lancashire / Westmorland Border

Greenmill, Longtown WWI/WWII Army Camp

Hadrian’s Camp, Houghton, Carlisle WWII RA Camp. Used as US Army Staging Camp (camp capacity 3,300 personnel – white soldiers only and 600 vehicles)

Kendal, 1 Melrose Place WWII Lancaster & Barrow Sub-Area HQ

Lowther Park, Penrith WWII Canal Light Defence School & 35th Royal Tank brigade, 79th Armoured Division

Warcop WWII Tank Gunnery Range

Walney Island WWII Army Camp, described as ‘Clay Beach’, also Moor Tarn Lane, Hilpsford, and (Rampside, south of Barrow)

Default Re: Army Camps / Barracks Cumbria

Not Adrian Camp but Hadrian's Camp near Houghton on the outskirts of Carlisle as noted further down the list. It was a REME apprentice school from the early 50's to late 60's and finally closed in 1968 or so. The site was mostly cleared by the mid 70's, although there are one or two structures still hanging in there. It is bordered on one side by a police driving school and another by a (legal) traveller camp; the only original structures are the officers housing on the Brampton Road side, which are now in private hands, and an unidentified building on the far side of the M6 that is obviously military but has no obvious purpose. Hundreds of thousands of people must drive past this camp every year as it is bisected by the M6 motorway between Jns 43 and 44 but very few will recognise it for what it is; there is very little left to identify it.

Quote Originally Posted by scrooloose View Post
    ....Hadrian's Camp near Houghton on the outskirts of Carlisle as noted further down the list. It was a REME apprentice school from the early 50's to late 60's and finally closed in 1968 or so. The site was mostly cleared by the mid 70's, although there are one or two structures still hanging in there. It is bordered on one side by a police driving school and another by a (legal) traveller camp; the only original structures are the officers housing on the Brampton Road side, which are now in private hands, and an unidentified building on the far side of the M6 that is obviously military but has no obvious purpose.....
    Hi scrooloose,

I know the area well, lived just up the road for a few years (at Brampton) and did a bit of training on the site at the police driving school. Its amazing that so much of the footprint of the site still exists as I'd thought it would have been covered with houses or industrial buildings long before now!

When riding riding around the camp a few years ago we managed to work out the layout to some degree, the building you mention on the east side of the M6 was part of the camp. I dont know its exact use however I would hazard a guess it was for some purpose associated with the range that stretched south/west of the building back to the camp or the old camp running track to the south /east.

Last edited by Jenna; 03-04-2012 at 12:07.

Thanks for that Jenna, I hadn't realised that there was a range there. I was initially confused as to why the camp had a building across the motorway without easy access before it occurred to me that it was there a long time before the M6!
    My own theory is that it was some kind of pavillion for the field in front of it, which ties in with what you say about the running track. Up until quite recently I hadn't actually heard of Hadrian Camp but had been passing that building for years and wondering what it was. I had wondered if it was a Rotor guardhouse minus roof as it does bear a passing resemblance to one, albeit without the stairwell at the back. There was a Rotor station planned but abandoned for Cumbria at one point, but it was miles away near Silloth so that ruled that out. It wasn't until I got my head around the artificial division of the M6 that I noticed the huge footprint of the camp and made the association. A bit of digging later and there we were.

A photo of the camp when open:

And a bit of further reading about the post war period:

http://hadriansoldboys.co.uk/index.html

Thanks for the link, I'd heard of the group but never seen that website before.

Cumbria is a great place for a military historian as its so diverse yet all packed in to a relatively small patch

Thread Information