Thread: How Many Airfields?!

Default How Many Airfields?!

Reading through the different area threads I am occasionally reading about another airfield that I have never heard of.

Does anyone know how many military airfields existed in the UK at the end of WWII (I'm guessing the peak), and is there an official or definative list of all the airfields constructed?

The Bible is the 'British Isles Airfield Guide' - A Directory of Used and Disused Airfields in the British Isles, published by the Merseyside Aviation Society Publications Ltd and Edited by PH Butler (Current ARG Member). My surviving copy is the 9th Edition, published in September 1981. The first edition was published in 1962
    The listed entries reach about 1150.

There have been a few lists published which show considerably more than the BIAG directory but in my view this book is still the best and when I bought my first copy in the early 1970s it received more reading time than my Victor comics and it still does!

Rather interesting to see you mention the Merseyside Aviation Society, I wonder if this is the successor to the Merseyside Group of Aviation Enthusiasts who came into being in the late 1950s. I was one of the founder members of the group and we used to gather at weekends by the runway at Burtonwood, and have regular meetings at Liverpool (Speke) Airport, sadly, I had to leave the group when I joined the RAF in 1960.

Robin.

I think my copy is the 7th edition, 1976 if I remember correctly. A very useful booklet to have

I took mine with me on a cycling trip in 1972 - don't remember which edition though. Were SLG's in the 1970's editions. Also the various cub strips were probably not included. The only "New" airfields I see mentioned these days are ELG's that were used early in the war - at least they were new to me! There was talk of a strip prepared in Sussex just for an exercise, again would this sort of thing be included in any list

Peter

Thread Information