Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: RAF Hereford / RAF Credenhill

Default Re: RAF Hereford / RAF Credenhill

Thanks for that Peter.

And was this unit ever called Credenhill?

No its known locally as RAF Credenhill but was always RAF Hereford.

Default Was there a grass runway at RAF Hereford (or was it RAF Credenhill)?

Hi everyone,

Iím currently doing some research about an American B-24 that crashed in Burghill, Herefordshire in the evening of the 18th August 1944. About a mile from RAF Hereford (or was it RAF Credenhill). I believe that the base was only a training facility but was there a grass runway there at the time? (perhaps running EastĖWest)

Many thanks in advance

Regards

Jerome

Default Re: Was there a grass runway at RAF Hereford (or was it RAF Credenhill)?

Jerome,

There was an airfield at Hereford in the middle of the racecourse. As far as I know this was civil only, although may have been used by service aircraft.
    I posted a photo here http://www.airfieldinformationexchan...?1878-Hereford

Default Re: Was there a grass runway at RAF Hereford (or was it RAF Credenhill)?

PNK,

Thanks for the reply. I didnít know that there use to be an airfield in the middle of the racecourse! (Itís now a 9 holes golf course)

My question relates to the RAF station in Credenhill: Was there a grass runway there in 1944, I canít find a definitive answer anywhere.

regards

Jerome

No there wasnt.

http://military-genealogy.forcesreun...RAF_Credenhill
    RAF Credenhill,situated North West of Hereford, opened and housed No: 11 School of Technical Training in June 1940. It then supported at various times the RAF Secretarial Branch, the RAF Equipment Officers School, No: 1 School of General Service Training, the RAF School of Administrative Training and until 1985, No: 1 School of Catering until that moved to Aldershot. From March 1974 until 1982 it housed the WRAF School of Recruit Training, then in 1983 the camp saw the formation of the Youth Training Squadron (YTS). In all the time RAF Credenhill had been used, and despite the presence of its hangers, it has never housed an airstrip. In 1994 the YTS closed and the Army bought the site. After 22 SAS Regiment had obtained funding to develop the site, extensive rebuilding which started in 1997 took place. 22 SAS finally moved into Credenhill in May 1999.

Thank you everybody for all the replies

Jerome
    Last edited by JeromeC; 12-08-2011 at 15:19.

Station Gates.

About 5 years ago these were mounted at the entrance to Aylestone Park on the A465 just south of A4103. They were restored by local blacksmith Andrew Findlay at Eastnor Forge, the repairs were financed by Herefordshire Council (I think)'

As what was RAF Hereford is now home to a different branch of the Armed Forces, it probably wasn't practical to restore them to their original
    location.

Really interesing photos Mark, nice to see they have been kept and restored.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information