Thread: THAILAND - U-Tapao

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Default THAILAND - U-Tapao

U-Tapao, Thailand - Vietnam War

I met an ex-USAF munitions man yesterday and we chewed over his time at U-Tapao Air Base in the early '70s supporting B52 offensive into Indo China. As an ex-RAF Armourer working as a civilian on a foreign military contract I visited U-Tapao with my brother-in-law who was then an ex Thai Air Force comms officer.

To say that I was impressed is an understatement. Everywhere there were bombs as far as the eye could see and a continuous resupply, prep and expenditure. Here was a Royal Thai Navy airfield being built-up and modified by the USAAF and it is still an active airfield today often called upon to take commercial traffic intended for Bangkok.

Having just made a comment in the Mildenhall thread about the conventional munitions requirement for a B52 bomb group, those who are interested will find this You Tube film enlightening. This is Part 3, the bomb preparation but If you look in the righthand You Tube column you will find Parts 1 and 2 leading up to 3:

Default Re: U-Tapao, Thailand - Vietnam War

The bomb rack is impressive. A simple idea that allows quick loading.

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Default Re: U-Tapao, Thailand - Vietnam War

Pretty much unchanged from WW2 simple, reliable so carried forward into the B52.

Thread Information