Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leagrave

Default Re: Leagrave

if you want to trawl the TNA the farm was 'Ponds Farm' and the field behind was 'Egg Field', there was defiantly some documentation in the Electrolux archive on the land purchase when I looked last.

SuperMod

Thanks for the tips Jenna. As you say, there are some interesting bits in old Flights including lots of interior photos. I'll check at TNA on my next visit.

Please note that Mary Duchess of Bedford completed her first solo at Leagrave 8.4.30 sent solo by Mr St.Barbe presumably in her Gipsy Moth 1 G-AAAO which she owned from Oct 1928 to July 1932.

Quote Originally Posted by T-21 View Post
    Please note that Mary Duchess of Bedford completed her first solo at Leagrave 8.4.30 sent solo by Mr St.Barbe presumably in her Gipsy Moth 1 G-AAAO which she owned from Oct 1928 to July 1932.
    There is a memorial to Mary Russell, Duchess of Bedford in the Church of St Mary at Woburn:
    http://www.aviationmemorials.co.uk/woburn.html

Cheers

Rich

Hi folks, not far from the Electrolux site there is a roundabout with a mc Donald's on, directly opposite there is a large nissen style hut sitting on it's own on the edge of the notorious Marsh farm estate. It's now some kind of community building but it's certainly a contender for part of the Leagrave site given it's geographic location and the fact it's stands out like a sore thumb. Anyone else know where I mean?

Further Luton snippets
    a) the Nissan hut at the Fiveways roundabout is an old ACF hut I think.
    b) Somewhere in the cobwebs of my mind I recall being told that prior to Luton Council opening Luton Airport on its current site (in 193, the airfield was in Leagrave, on the site of the Luton & Dunstable Hospital.
    c) Luton Hoo was occupied by the Army during WW2 and used as the HQ of Eastern Command.
    d) Additionally, I believe Airspeed were based at Luton. The founder and co-owner of this company (responsible for the Airspeed Oxford etc) was Mr Neville S Norway, better known by his pen-name of Neville Shute.

Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by badjez View Post
    Further Luton snippets
    a) the Nissan hut at the Fiveways roundabout is an old ACF hut I think.
    b) Somewhere in the cobwebs of my mind I recall being told that prior to Luton Council opening Luton Airport on its current site (in 193, the airfield was in Leagrave, on the site of the Luton & Dunstable Hospital.
    c) Luton Hoo was occupied by the Army during WW2 and used as the HQ of Eastern Command.
    d) Additionally, I believe Airspeed were based at Luton. The founder and co-owner of this company (responsible for the Airspeed Oxford etc) was Mr Neville S Norway, better known by his pen-name of Neville Shute.

Stephen.
    Hi, a new member posting for the first time. I was born and lived in the Leagrave area between 1938 and 1961 and still live locally.

The corrugated steel building at Leagrave marsh is an old ACF unit put up by Luton council next to the farm house at Marsh Farm which they had bought to use for a housing estate..

McDonalds is on the site of the Three Horseshoes public house and facing it on the other side of the road (no roundabout then) the river Lea had sand dumped to form a "beach" called the Blocker's seaside. Blockers referred to the people who made the blocks on which felt hats were formed by steam.

L & D hospital, opened in 1939, was built on open fields purchased from Electrolux in the late thirties. The B & H aircraft factory was built in 1914 and taken over by Elektrolux in 1926 so it seems fair to assume that those fields were part of the ground originally owned by B&H and used for flying.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information