Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buckminster

Default Re: Buckminster

Quote Originally Posted by kebecker View Post
    REF, no totally different locations, confused by the fact that Saltby is home to the Buckminster Gliding club
    Thats why I'm confused then!! Does anyone have a plan of the airfield so we can see where it was in relation the the fields / roads now.

Map on Page 45 of "Aifrields of Lincolnshire since 1912" (Blake, Hodgson, Taylor) - Midland Counties Publications 1984.

Quote Originally Posted by PNK View Post
    Map on Page 45 of "Aifrields of Lincolnshire since 1912" (Blake, Hodgson, Taylor) - Midland Counties Publications 1984.
    Still can't find a copy at a sensible price!!

SuperMod

Rich: Prices coming down. A dealer at the military book fair attached to the Duxford Military Vehicle Day in June had one for only 40!

Bill

Cheers Bill, I've noticed they are coming down a bit, when I get some spare cash I will be investing!

That picture on the attached Thumbnails looks prety good . It seems that Buckminster was quit alarge airfield .How many hangers were there & what aircraft flew from there ?

Here's a few pics of Buckminster. Unfortunatly i didn't get a front view of the MT shed so these are pretty similar to the Google Map photos earlier in the thread. Either way it's nice to record whats left of this very old airfield on here -

The flying field above and below, the MT Shed -

Cheers
    Steve

On my way back from Tollerton today, satnav took me via Melton Mowbray and across the B676 for some reason, anyway I ended up going through the village, pulling over and looking at my road atlas I thought I'd take a quick look at the remaining MT Shed, here are a couple of views.

I was trying to work out where the flying field was in relation to the MT Shed, but I couldn't picture one actually being there as it doesn't seem flat enough. I am still none the wiser...

I believe the flying field was on the side of the road the MT shed is. Dont forget that side of the road was extensivley quarried down to a depth of at least 40 to 50 feet so the landscape has been altered.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information