Thread: Isle Of White-Culver Cliff- Royal Naval Shore Signals and wireless station.

Default Isle Of White-Culver Cliff- Royal Naval Shore Signals and wireless station.

This signals station has long since gone, but there are quite a few odd bits and pieces around that show where it was. A car park now occupies where the main building was situated, the boundaries marked by RN boundary markers. The concrete pads for the Masts can be seen, along with two small buildings that may have been part of the site.

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=50.66...&r=348&src=msl

The signals station was the first to pick up the distress signals from HMS Thetis, a Royal Naval submarine. She sank during trials on 1 June 1939 with the loss of 99 lives. She was salvaged, repaired and recommissioned later as 'HMS Thunderbolt' serving in the Atlantic and Mediterranean theatres until she was lost with all of the crew in March 1943.

Default Re: Isle Of White-Culver Cliff- Royal Naval Shore Signals and wireless station.

I walked that area in July 1974! Don't recall any remains but then again I wasn't aware of any in that area at the time. My only recollection of that area is of a tall pole with wedge shaped foot steps to enable you to climb it. We were told it was a Home Guard lookout.
    On second thoughts maybe we didn't past the houses. Was there a pub there (three of us were over 18 then)?

You didn't get to Chale and photgraph the suspected markers shelter there?

Default Re: Isle Of White-Culver Cliff- Royal Naval Shore Signals and wireless station.

'fraid not Peter!
    I had the devil of a time convincing the wife that these old remains just happened to be where we were planning to walk anyway!
    Do you think I have a death wish?

Thread Information