Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kingsbury

Default Kingsbury

Whilst re-reading, last night, Arthur Ord-Hume's 'British Light Aeroplanes - their Evolution, Development and Perfection 1920-1940', at p.109 he makes a passing reference to Kingsbury Aerodrome. However I can find no reference online to an aerodrome of this name. Clearly he is not making reference to either Stag Lane or Hendon as he says:

"North London's chain of airports was extensive and today has an air of improbability when one considers their proximity to one another. From Cricklewood there was Hendon, Stag Lane and Kingsbury (this last the 150 acre site bought by Berningham and blessed at one time with the biggest hangar in the country) - all well within a two mile radius - and with landing fields at Northwick Park (Harrow-on-the-Hill), and a proposed new aerodrome at Wembley..........."

and also:

".....both Cricklewood and Kingsbury (where the short-lived operation of Fraser's School of Flying offered training on 'Avros and Scouts' in 1922) had gone the same way [as did Stag Lane in 1934] and nobody mourned them."

That there were three aerodromes is further supported by Brent Council's museum archive pdf file concerning Kingsbury which states:

"Proximity to Hendon Aerodrome led to development of an aircraft industry in northeast Kingsbury during the First World War. Many of the workers were women. There were also three aerodromes in Kingsbury itself".

Can someone please shed light on this aerodrome and, if possible, direct me to an image of its one time biggest hangar in the country and details of the dimensions of this?

Default Re: Kingsbury Aerodrome

Is this aerodrome such an enigma?

I think it might be. I haven't found anything - yet, but I haven't got much on pre WW2 aerodromes. The references you indicated shown that it existed but I wonder if that is the name it known by?

Interesting question, PNK. But AO-H doesn't usually hit far off the mark!

I will have another look at the weekend.

I wonder who Berningham was. Does the name ring bells with anyone?

Kingsbury Aviation Co. Ltd. Kingsbury N.W9 built DH6, Snipe, Vimy aircraft

Any idea of the address at which Kingsbury Aviation Co. Ltd. manufactured those aeroplanes and/or the aerodrome from which they flew?

I've found another reference, in Arthur Ord-Hume's tome, to Kingsbury Aerodrome. Speaking of the Austin Kestrel he says:

"In April 1924 the Kestrel was put up for sale with all its spares. It was acquired by Fraser's Flying School at Kingsbury Aerodrome, North London, but appears never to have been used. Kingsbury Aerodrome was built over soon afterwards and both the flying school and the aeroplane disappeared".

T
    he company occupied 109 a., including an airfield stretching from Church Lane across Jubilee park, and in 1918 it employed 800 people building aero engines.
    from Graces Guide...

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sou...wcwt9cpSMLJh4A

There is a Barningham Way on the trading estate !!

For some reason photobucket will not show my outlined area for the Aerodrome but here it is

Last edited by bvs; 08-10-2011 at 20:47.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information