Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: North Witham

Here's some shots of inside the Tower.

Some of the original paint scheme is still in situ

Unfortunately kids have kicked some of the walls in on the 2nd floor.

Looking out of the control room across the airfield

The control room

The stairway

Part of the original door frame, the rest have gone

An original light bulb fitting, again the rest had been ripped out.

Default Re: NORTH WITHAM

With my tatty old site record plan headed off to Twyford Forest, now its been a long while since I had a real poke around, and things grow! There used to be a well cut path around the outside of the site over near dispersal G. Well not so easy now and her indoors was getting annoyed with the brambles! So shot this and went back to the contrete! Sorry has nothing to do with airfields.

The standing for a control van/search light can still be seen near to 2 and 3 runways intersection, the pic I have is awful but certainly shows pieces of hard core

the main beacon plinth has always fascinated me, anyone care to expand on this?

Quote Originally Posted by kebecker
    the main beacon plinth has always fascinated me, anyone care to expand on this?
    This was the concrete base for the Standard Beam Approach Main Beacon. The picture below is an earlier Lorenz version, but very similar. If anything the hut would be different.
    The aerial system faces the runway, with the equipment hut behind. The ideal location for the installations was 250yds off the end of the main runway, frequently at the most westerly end (upwind).

The central aerial sent out a signal over 360 degrees, and the reflectors were energised alternately to divert the majority of the signal either to the left of the runway (for 0.2 secs), or to the right (0.8 secs). When the pilot was dead on course for the runway centre line he heard both equally, otherwise he got either dots or dashes. This informed him whether he was left or right of the approach. (Dots & Dashes later replaced by Morse 'A' and 'N').

SBA was close to a complete very expensive failure and was abandoned by Bomber Command on 4 November 1943. It was replaced by BABS Mk.II. (Coastal and Fighter Commands had rejected SBA in 1941, and went on to use BABS Mk.1 and VHF BA.) The North Witham installation was described as 'Complete but untested' in December 1944. It was probably demolished shortly afterwards as the aerial system was over 22 feet in height and was a serious hazard on take-off.

A good find kebecker as the majority of blind-landing plinths have reverted to agriculture a long time ago. There might just be some evidence of cabling around / on it.

Graham
    Last edited by Carnaby; 10-07-2014 at 10:36. Reason: Photo reinstated

Hawkeye001

Hi Guys,

Here are a few from North Witham joing me was Jerry Al Jaccob Stevie and My lad.

Enjoy and comments welcome!!

HawkEye001
    Last edited by Richard Flagg; 18-06-2014 at 20:23. Reason: Updated photo links

Hawkeye001

Part 2

Enjoy and comments welcome!!

HawkEye001
    Last edited by Richard Flagg; 18-06-2014 at 20:28. Reason: Updated photo links

the way into the basement , just need a ladder!

was over early March and took a bunch of pics, more to come

runway lighting, these can be found on all of the runways I think, they look retro fitted, the concrete finishing is awful, is this typical?

Air ministry boundary fence, complete with wire!

Boundary posts

corresponds with point x marked on the record plan, which in turn appears to ne associated with a 25 yrd range. Anyone seen one of these before?

Transfomer plinth

Aviation fuel store

just found an older pic, late 80's I think

Default Re: North Witham

someone commented on footprints on runways, well here is one of North Withams

and numbered concrete slabs on the number 2 runway

Some kind soul had also been clearing the accumulated muck at the side of the runways, I am guessing to allow the standing water to dissapate for the rally sections they run there.

It has uncovered various drain, inspection covers and light fittings

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread Information