Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: North Witham

Moderator and ARG Trustee

Default Re: North Witham

With regard to listing Kit, as I mentioned in earlier posts I did consider making an application but decided against it at this time.

The reasoning for this is that a listing application could make any effort to secure and repair the tower more difficult in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcade Al View Post
    With regard to listing Kit, as I mentioned in earlier posts I did consider making an application but decided against it at this time.

The reasoning for this is that a listing application could make any effort to secure and repair the tower more difficult in the future.
    I'd agree with Al that listing wouldn't be helpful but I'd also say it would likely fail as the building doesn't merit listing.

Like most people on here I'd like to see more of our heritage receive some protection BUT for that protection to mean anything there have to be funds available in the long term future. Listing on it's own would at best just prevent demolition - it wouldn't prevent deterioration.

Thanks Guys,

Meeting with the FC in Feb, the ABCT have been invited to attend meeting in a supportive role and know that the Towers future is the memorial and the focus. I'm not particularly interested in one of the marker stones and they say there is no intention currently to place one.

I have asked a Rep of ARG attend, so hopefully it's an opportunity to join together for this cause.

Best, Kit
    Last edited by greenlanekit; 27-12-2013 at 20:37.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlanekit View Post
    Thanks Guys,

Meeting with the FC in Feb, the ABCT have been invited to attend meeting in a supportive role and know that the Towers future is the memorial and the focus. I'm not particularly interested in one of the marker stones and they say there is no intention currently to place one.

I have asked a Rep of ARG attend, so hopefully it's an opportunity to join together for this cause.

Best, Kit
    Best of luck with your efforts greenlanekit with the meeting. I had a good look at the tower this afternoon, and structure wise I thought it was in a state, but things can be turned around and as I say, best of luck with your efforts with this project. Do you know who knocked the wall down on the first floor helping to support the roof ? And that slight 'bulge' on the underside of the first floor looks worrying. I assume rightly or wrongly that the bulge with 'damp' in it, is a result of not having windows with glass protecting the inside. I hope the tower survives any strong winds we have been having of late. Look forward to a report on the meeting.

NA

Quote Originally Posted by Northern aviator View Post
    Best of luck with your efforts greenlanekit with the meeting. I had a good look at the tower this afternoon, and structure wise I thought it was in a state, but things can be turned around and as I say, best of luck with your efforts with this project. Do you know who knocked the wall down on the first floor helping to support the roof ? And that slight 'bulge' on the underside of the first floor looks worrying. I assume rightly or wrongly that the bulge with 'damp' in it, is a result of not having windows with glass protecting the inside. I hope the tower survives any strong winds we have been having of late. Look forward to a report on the meeting.

NA

A few shots of said visit

DSCF7779.jpg DSCF7784.jpg

DSCF7785.jpg DSCF7789.jpg

DSCF7790.jpg DSCF7791.jpg

I suppose it would make a good Visitor's Centre for the forest if it were restored:

Quote Originally Posted by P Bellamy View Post
    I suppose it would make a good Visitor's Centre for the forest if it were restored:

That would be nice to see indeed, maybe a part share with a wild life outfit too considering the wild life I saw on Friday afternoon which include Red Kite Buzzard and a 'deer' up one of the rows of trees, which took a 'butchers' at me whilst there. But there's some 'graft' needed to get to that standard, but as I say it would nice. I suppose the 'services' could be 'tapped' into the industrial transformer next door. A nice C-47 would look good and a venue for those re-enactor types that do the rounds as US Rangers etc like at the 'Cosby Show' but time will tell I guess.

NA

http://www.thunderfromheaven.co.uk/#/contact/4565666837

It would be great to see these people at North Witham Tower.

Been back again today for a mooch around. More or less walked all the runways and a brief inspection of the towers innards. Whatever idiot is knocking the upstairs walls down wants stringing up by their ba!!s.... Going by the stalactites hanging from the ceiling the concrete has been cracked for a long time, I was quite amazed even to find remains of the electrical wiring hanging from several conduits. The signal square looks in good nick, apart from trees growing through, it would be good to see the trees uprooted and cut back and to see the square restored. Under the large pile of tyres at the rear quarter of the tower is the remains of a building, what would this have been? Also on the opposite rear corner is another building floor plan, and in between these, what looks like a air raid slit trench.
    SNV86773.jpg
    The concrete floor can be seen quite clearly.
    SNV86776.jpg
    What looks to me like a slit trench.
    SNV86778.jpg
    From the other side.
    SNV86799.jpg
    Building floor as seen from the top balcony.
    SNV86824.jpg
    Signal square
    SNV86845.jpg
    The building that has been demolished that sat on the technical site.
    SNV86768.jpg
    SNV86833.jpg
    Lastly a couple of runway light fittings. Haven't found any along the edges yet but still keep looking, maybe a spade and metal detector will help.
    There are more, but mainly they would be reprinting some of what is already on this thread.
    Simon

Almost forgot this, found whilst trawling the web.
    http://www.americandday.org/D-Day/Ai...r-Plane_1.html
    Don't know if anyone has seen it before.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread Information