Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Relocated Hangars

Default Relocated Hangars

THIS IS THE DISCUSSION THREAD FOR THE ASSOCIATED AUDIT THREAD HERE:
    http://www.airfieldinformationexchan...ngars-(Extant)

Is it worth drawing up a list of hangars that have been relocated to non-airfield sites? Maybe include airfield sites.
    I know one of the old pre-war hangars from Gravesend was moved to an industrial estate in Northfleet a few miles away. I know there are more but I can't recall them at the moment.
    What do you think?
    It might save an embarrasing "what airfield was this?" post!

Peter

Default Re: Relocated Hangars

Although questionable, and there's no photographic evidence (at the moment), there is a hangar which very closely resembles a Robin not very far from Abbots Bromley on a small industrial estate.

NJR can probably fix the location better then I can, as he was driving.

Also, there are a couple of WW1 sheds which were moved from Doncatser.

Don;t have the refrence4s to hand at the moment but again, NJR can fill in the details.

Sorry to be so scant on this.

Chris

At Ashley Cross roads, New Milton , Hampshire, Ashley Motors(car repairs) use a hangar that apparently came from RAF Beaulieu.
    Hangars are not a particular interest of mine so can't really say exactly what type - but the nearest I can find to match what it looks like now would be a Mainhill(About right size, similar roof height and shape- but walls are vertical rather than sloped...but I believe that the original structure may have been considerably modified when reassembled.

You can see an aerial view on Google at exactly N50.45.29.85/W 1.38.18.12

Sorry can't be more definate about type.

I think it is a nice idea to list such hangars, ideally also stating which ones still survive and which have now gone. Blister hangars on farms and in industrial use were a popular choice and quite a few Bellmans and T.2s were moved arund the country postwar too. More recently a few have of course been rescued and re-erected at museums such as the N&SAM at Flixton, plus Duxford & Elvington.

The only one I can presently think of in Surrey is a former WW1 Kite Balloon Shed at Leatherhead complete until quite recently but which now only partially survives as a maintenance garage for a van rental company.

That hangar you describe at New Milton sounds more like a Dutch Barn type hangar as opposed to a Mainhill S Shed. I will keep a look out for it when I am next over that way. Although old myself I try to keep away from New Milton and Highcliffe as I dont wish to be reminded of how old I am by looking at all the wrinklies that live there.

One of the Willingale/Chipping Ongar T2's is at North Weald, as is Matching's T2 from opposite the tower.
    Last edited by Denis; 18-08-2009 at 21:44. Reason: clarification

Hanger 2 at Duxford; this is from the IWM web site

"By 1951 a new concrete runway had been laid and a type T2 hangar erected alongside the four First World War hangars. Although the original T2 hangar has gone, the Museum has since put up another two Second World War T2 hangars on the same site. "

so the question is where did the present hangers come from?

Boozefighters - that's why I left - but there are nearly as many wrinklies in Torbay as there are in the New Forest area - one more now since I arrived!

Kebeker: In just a general sort of way - whereabouts in PQ are you? - my wife's family come from Terrebonne/Ormstown area... have visited a lot of fields in that part of Canada when on family visits.

One more "moved" hangar ....

At Shanklin IOW, the Summerland Amusement Arcade on the seafront was formerly a seaplane hangar originally at Bembridge where it was used by 253(Nizam of Hyderabad's )Squadron using Campania flying boats and Hamble Babies. It was moved in 1923 from RFC Bembridge and used initially as a theatre.

Nothing so exotic but I suppose it happens everywhere. Here in Ireland during the late 1950's the hangar from Dublin's first privately owned Airport at Kildonan, Finglas, north co Dublin was purchased by the McMahon family to be used in the motor sales and repair business in Milford
    Co Donegal where it remained until about ten years ago when it was demolished to make way
    for new council offices. I was inside it a few times little knowing that it was actually a hanger
    in a previous life. There is an aerial photo of it in Milford and you can faintly make out the
    name of "Kildonan" painted on the roof.
    Kildonan grid ref O115406
    Milford grid ref C193266

Hugo.

Two hangars from the Spitfire assembly at High Post, Salisbury, Wilts. They were situated where two new large factories are now, south of the traffic lights, went to Boscombe Down.

http://www.atlantikwall.co.uk/atlantikw ... ngland.htm

Richard
    www.atlantikwall.co.uk

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information