Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Manby

Default Re: Manby

Quote Originally Posted by jpg1982 View Post
    Interesting day at Manby. Current ground works on site for the new Covenham to Boston water pipe line have uncovered two ww2 bombs at the west end of the site between where the old dispersal sites were, which are now farmed fields. Police have been babysitting the site since 12pm today untill the bomb disposal team arrives tomorrow to deal with them. Will keep you posted of any other news.
    Nice photos here http://www.lincs.police.uk/News-Cent...-in-Manby.html

it was a lot of fuss over nothing really. There were lots of reports of site evacuations etc but the first we new about it was when i saw a cop car on the site. It was over a mile from our office so there was no call for evacuation. Felt sorry for the pcso who had to sit on the airfield on there own all night though.

One of my passengers today was a 92 year old gentleman. we were chatting about Airfields and he told me how during WW2 he was based at Manby and would be on lookout for enemy aircraft from the top of the Water Tower. He recalled that the view was amazing what with being so close to the coast, though he did feel very vunerable up there.

wellington crash.jpg
    My father was an AG instructor at Manby during the war and also Armament Officer at Pembrey before returning to Manby in that role. He also did a post war stint (1953) there as education officer. Photo is dated 4/12/44 ( though possibly a few days earlier). he went as a passenger a "jolly" to Hatfield to collect some spares, on the way out one of the engines cut and they carried on to Hatfield where it was fixed. As they came in to Manby the other engine cut and they clipped the trees, an engine came adrift and hit the house in the background killing either a pregnant woman or woman & child. Can anyone clarify that?
    We lived in OMQs that were prefabs just outside the camp but very close to one of the hangars. Any one know where they were ?
    Last edited by pete668; 07-04-2012 at 16:54.

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

The Officers Mess had OMQs in the grounds I think. Now called Beechwood House it is here:

http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepat...z=18&oz=7&gt=1

An old map shows a diagonal line of side-by-side structures to the west of the OM very close to the souther hangar's SE corner:

http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepat...z=19&oz=7&gt=1

Does this ring a bell?

Nice story by the way but a sad ending.

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Types of Allied bombs on display at "Bomb Alley", in one of the instructional sheds at the Empire Air Armament School, Manby, Lincolnshire

Courtesy of Imperial War Museum IWM (CH 17833)

Types of Allied gun turrets on display in the Turret Room at the Empire Air Armaments School, Manby, Lincolnshire.

Courtesy of Imperial War Museum IWM (CH 17832)

Thanks for that and the pictures, pity Dad's not around to see them. I think the prefabs were out of the camp, and looking at Old Maps possibly between Grove Fm & Aerodrome Fm and now called Fury Close etc. I remember a roadway along the edge of the estate, then a gate and fence and then hangars but I was only 3 or 4 at the time

Where was the site of Manbys Bomb Stores, or was it only built as a training site?

AIR10/4038 (1942) states storage for 750,000 rounds of SAA and (just) 9 tons of bombs. The former fits in with it being the Air Armament School, but it also taught bomb aimers and armourers. Were practice bombs included as part of the 'nine tons' ?

Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread Information