Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: Manby

Default Re: Manby

Whats the latest on the old motorplex area?

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger Bounce View Post
    I'm currently trying to find photos and documents of RAF Manby and its personnel from any time period with a view to building a website about the former airfield. Can anyone help with me this please ?
    A few here:

http://www.iwm.org.uk/search/global?...&x=-1069&y=-39

Quote Originally Posted by PETERTHEEATER View Post

Cheers Peter, I've been looking round the internet and sourcing photo's along with who holds the copyright etc. I've also just ordered the RSP from the RAF Museum, but the more info I can lay my hands on the better and the more accurate the website will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemetode View Post
    Whats the latest on the old motorplex area?
    GBM Demolition the site owners, have put in for full planning for the removal of all the remaining concrete and tarmac leaving an access road 2 metres wide to the tower and watch office (this work has already started). The site is to be completely stripped and returned to farming. There was a guy a few months ago planning on building a go kart track on the apron and using the watch office as a cafe and office but nothing has come of this yet.

Where does the later Tower come in all of these plans?

Moderator and ARG Trustee

Quote Originally Posted by jason View Post
    Where does the later Tower come in all of these plans?
    Unfortunately given the general tone of these plans and the state of the building, I'd say it's likely to become rubble...

Been told today after having a walk round the old place today, that the post war tower WILL be demolished.

Has any date been given as to its demise as i'd like to look inside, for what it's worth seeing. Just for my records if nothing else.

I lived in the AMQ's in 1964-6 14 Fury Ave,went to Grimoldby school. Walked to school and used to see the piston Provosts lined up outside the hangar nearest to the road being pre-flighted and they flew right over our playground on finals to the short runway. Remember the College dining in nights a variety of Admirals barges would arrive Pembrokes ,Sea Princes and even the early HS.125 G-ARYC. Circuit was always busy with Varsities and JP's. Strubby was home to Canberras and Meteors then.
    I went back for a look in 2000 and was appalled at what has happened to a once neat and tidy station, I do not think I would like to visit now. My late father had a collapsed lung flying a Canberra and circled for a few hours burning off fuel before landing at Manby and shutting down in front of the old control tower. He was in Wroughton RAF hospital for 9 months but did get back flying.

I'd say the chances of looking inside the tower are nill. It's all bricked up inside and fenced off, so I'd guess it's going to be coming down very soon.

Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread Information