Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Manby

SuperMod

Default Re: Manby

Interesting to hear that the hangar complex and former Intervention Grain Store has been bought by Winchester Marine. Wonder if they plan to pull out of Binbrook totally?

From speaking to the guy who was preparing the hangars on thursday, they are expanding. They have run out of space at Binbrook! They have all ready started to move equipment in. I was told that there are plans for improvements to the site. Last thursday was the first time i had been to that area of the site. Apart from the odd bit of vandalism it is in very good order.
    I am trying to get access to the old mess building which is at the far end of the site. It is currently used by Lindsey airsoft group for there skirmish games as well as using the airfield.
    Can anyone tell me when the building next to the watch tower was erected? it does not look origional and i currently use it as a store and workshop. Are there any plans available showing the origional services to the site ie drainage electric water etc? will just save me a job if i can find them on a plan rather than trying to blindly search for them.
    I will try and get some internal photgraphs of the control tower next week. This building is out of bounds to the general public but photographers are allowed on site to take external shots, if they ask permission from the site office first (which is based in the watch building) I will also take some photos of the watch building, but there are no origional features left that i have seen, other than some of the windows and doors.
    If anyone wants any specific photos taking just let me know.

Hi thanks for that, East Lindsey Fire Protection Services still hold the keys. They run the airsoft and the fire fighter courses at manby airfield so i can gain access quite easily, i just need to find the time to get in there to take some photos. I will try to this week but may only get chance to take some of the control tower and the watch building. Am i right in thinking that the same building plans were used on different sites? I would be interested in seeing photos of similar control and watch buildings so that if i am involved with any work on these buildings in the future i can try and make sure it is done so in a sympathetic way.

Thanks Jason
    Last edited by jpg1982; 31-12-2010 at 13:20.

Managed to speak with the owners of whinchester marine today. They are pulling out of Binbrook and moving everything to Manby. They have sold all but one hangar and some offices and the apron area, but this is up for sale also and they plan to have everything moved within the next 2 months. Security appears to be there main reason for moving as Manby is much more secure and no one else will have access to there site.

Been a while since i have posted on here. Winchester marine are continuing to make alterations and do up there site. They have several lorries moving stuff from binbrook everyday, all supposed to be completed by christmas. The works on the site will be ongoing untill early next year. Nothing has changed on the airfield side although the control tower continues to be vandalised (efforts have now been made to close it off)
    I have been trying to find information about Manby for the past few months but i can find out very little. I am trying to make a display showing the history of the base to put up inside the old watch tower. If anyone has any images they can send me or any information about the base that has not already been posted it will be gladly received.

Thanks Jason

Hi Just a quick note and I hope you don't mind me correcting you guys but it's actually East Lindsey Fire Protection Services that hold the keys to the officers mess and not Lincs Fire and Rescue. Their office is located at Unit 14b, Dowland Business Park, Manby

Thanks, Mark
    Last edited by firemark1445; 30-12-2010 at 07:10.

DF

Good luck, it really is some place to have a wander around. There's even the bases of all the billiard tables left and the head cooks kitchen and flat-let. Make sure you see it all, it's wonderful.
    Anyway, I love Manby, it has a certain feel to it that a lot of other places don't manage to put over to me. I truly do love it, from the the wrecked fuel pump to the last wee bit of the Officer's Mess. I never lived there and was blissfully unaware of it until 2004, but it got under my skin in a very big way.
    Manby always seems to be rather forgotten about, I don't why, but I did wonder and still do. Go there, wander around, it's magical !
    Last edited by DF; 01-01-2011 at 22:00.

If you let me know when you will be visiting Manby, I can sort out access to the airfield and control towers, if you are interested. I was in the post war control tower a few weeks ago, its a great view from the top of the tower. I am surprised as to how little information that there is about the base, especially as it is so intact. I have been looking for photos of the site before it closed showing the runways and control towers and i have only found 2!!

Also St Athan had ten three storey barrack blocks, some (three?) have just been demolished but the others are still in full-time original use.

I'm going to sound like a record here, but is Manby another site where a group visit could be organised?

Thats the one on the left Al, Fire Party and Post Office Building (Drg No 4446/35)

The one on the right of the main entrance is the Guardhouse (Drg No 4534/35)

Main Entrance

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread Information