Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Manby

Default Re: Manby

Before the abuse, in August 1981

Its because Manby was a station of 'special' function, ie the prestigious Air Armament School (built to replace Eastchurch), the separate fire and guard rooms plus three storey bbs and a FTS type officers mess reflect its importance, above that of a standard operational bomber or fighter station.

Work took me to meet the people who have control of Manby's Officers' Mess today. I had a guided tour around the building. Though it is in poor condition inside, it is recieving some care as it is used by several airsoft clubs for simulating battles and gunfights. I did mention to my guide that I had contact with a load of gentlemen who would love to have look inside the building and he was quite open to the idea.
    His name is Jason and you can email him via this address - sales@lindsey-airsoft.co.uk. He did give his permission for me to post his contact details so you can sort a guided tour with him. I'm sure a contribution for his time and electricity wouldn't go amiss.
    The building is wonderful inside, you can sense its past grandiour even through the decay, and imagine the formal mess functions and dinners that would once have filled it with life, not to mention high spirited young officers getting away with stuff that would have seen the enlisted ranks in the clink.
    It made me wonder what the place must have been like as the base was closing, when units and staff were being posted away and the numbers of officers living in dwindled away until only the closing down party were left, before they locked up and left it empty.
    That made me wonder if any of the myriad contributors to this forum have been actually involved in the sad task of closing a base down. If so, and I may have a morbid fascination here, I'd love to hear about what it was like.
    Anyway, enough gloom. I hope to be back there in the next few weeks. I'll try to get some pictures.

AMQ's

For anyone not knowing where the Airmans Married Quarters were, I was born in 14 Fury Avenue when my Father was stationed there.

This picture was taken a few years ago.

14 Fury Avenue.jpg

Did Manby have any dispersed sites and was a Gym & Chancel built there?

The gym was on site, I photographed it in the mid 1980s

Hi jpg1982, nice to have met you today. Thanks for letting me have a look around the tower. Here are the pictures i took while I was up there.

The hangars are in full use and are now being very well looked after by Winchester Marine, who were formerly based at binbrook. They are currently improving the old fire station? next to the hangars. The hangars are due to be repainted this summer. The derelict control tower is also due to have a clean up but unfortunately the funds are not in place to bring it back into an operational building, this would require alot of money and effort. It was nice to see you again today Barney, we look forward to welcoming you and your team to Manby in the future.

Jason

I have been carrying out some clearance work around the tower over the last few days, also the inside of the tower has had all the rubbish cleaned out and work is in progress to make it a usable space. While i was clearing up outside I found the remains of an L shaped wall in front of the main door, it protrudes from the door approximately 2.5 mtrs and is around 7 mtrs long. Within this walled boundry, I found what appears to be a filled in hole approximately 1.5mtrs by 1 mtr which has a thick concrete outer edge. It is right next to the building and I wondered if it maybe an entrance underground shelter? It is to big to be a drainage hole. If there are any photos of the tower during service or just after the base closed I would love to see them. Hopefully one day it may be saved.

Jason

I visited Manby again last Friday, the 11th, and I can confirm Jason has done some good work clearing the tower out.
    I read that the newer of the two towers was built in 1967, then closed in 1974. I'm not sure the MoD got their money's worth out of that one!
    I took this picture while I was there.

Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread Information