Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Manby

Default Re: Manby

Thanks Barney!

Just a couple of questions, is there documented evidence of the tower being built in '67? It seems quite late build for this design.
    Also, were the runways completely dug up or are they just covered over? Had a quick look on GE and was suprised how the evidence of runways has almost gone!

The runways were completely removed and most of the dispersal pads in the early 80's. Interestingly the drainage systems and much of the electric cabling for lighting ect are still in place and can be seen on google earth.

I have not seen any documented evidence as to the date of build on the tower, only what I have been told by people who were based on or who lived near the Manby. I was also told that all of the runways were resurfaced only a few years before the base closed!

I am surrised by the lack of photos of the base, I have been searching for the past year, as I would like to make a display in the watch office for customers of Manby Motorplex. I have not seen a single photo of any of the runways or the control tower in use. I have a couple of the watch office and apron area but nothing else. It would be nice to know a bit more history of the site.

Jason

Here is a quick draw of the ground floor plan of this type of tower as built.
    Note that they can vary slightly with annex layouts, windows etc, usually due to the nature of the airfield, the main tower bit should be correct for Manby though.
    I have added the Manby side extension and entrance porch area in grey, this is guessed from the photos.
    The other shaded area is the Transformer Enclosure of some examples.

Manby structure 2 sm.jpg

Keep clicking on the image to get a large readable size, let me know if you want an email of a larger size.
    Last edited by mawganmad; 11-04-2011 at 12:31.

That is an excellent plan. If you could email me a copy to jason@manbymotorplex.com that would be great. The area you have marked out as the transformer area is correct as I have found markings on the ground to confirm this. The porch area is slightly larger and it also had a low wall which comes out from the building approximately 2m and then goes to the left. The entrance to the female restroom is in the corridor to the officers wc opposite the stairs. Although the area shown on the map is the same but is just a cupboard, which I always thought was a bit odd. The rear extention is divided into 3 rooms and would be accessed via double doors from the radio room. the first room is fairly large and leads onto another room which was divided in two by a glass partition. I will take some photos this week if Barney does not beat me too it.

Quote Originally Posted by jpg1982 View Post
    The entrance to the female restroom is in the corridor to the officers wc opposite the stairs.

The rear extention is divided into 3 rooms and would be accessed via double doors from the radio room. the first room is fairly large and leads onto another room which was divided in two by a glass partition. I will take some photos this week if Barney does not beat me too it.
    I will knock out a first floor plan aswel and email them to you.

It sounds like Manby was modded the same as Saints in respect of the female rest room areas and main doors to rear extension, it might be that the building plans changed after the example that I have was drawn.
    I should have anotated that under the stairs is a cupboard which is accessed by those double doors.

Just out of interest can you provide a rough sketch of Manby plan as it is at the moment, including that low wall that you mention?
    Also would you say that the side extension is as wide as say the rear extension or G.P.O. room?
    Last edited by mawganmad; 13-04-2011 at 09:27.

I found this building tucked away in the woods this morning.
    It's located on the extreme south western corner of the technical site, close by the Main Stores.

I suspect it's either the fire tender or ambulance shed, it does have a road leading to the airfield, though it's not as close to the control tower as you might have expected.
    If anybody can conclusively identify it I should appreciate it.
    Cheers.

Through the trees at the rear of the officers' mess today...

And finally, another couple of views of the 1967 control tower.

I would have guessed two bay Tanker or Articulated Trailer Shed, but it is just that, a guess.

I find it incredible that the magnificent three storey Officers Mess can just be left like that, especially with todays housing needs.
    Last edited by mawganmad; 16-04-2011 at 14:15.

The officers mess has had its planning application renewed in January to convert it into 84 flats. They also put in to build 9 executive houses on the surrounding land and also create 2 large ponds. They originally applied in 2005 and have had planning since then but nothing has happened. The main building will be kept but the modern additions are to be demolished. Hopefully something will happen soon as it is getting more vandalised now the airsoft group have moved out. With regards to the fire Tender shed I thought that was behind the hangar nearest to the B1200?.
    Does anyone know what the building was, that stood next to the watch office, where Manby Motorplex has built there workshop building? The building has part of the concrete apron as its floor the rest is stone presumably it would of been grass before the guilding went up. The building was approximately 10m x 6m and had a sliding door and brick walls.

regards
    Jason

Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread Information