Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Towed Fuel Bowsers

Default Towed Fuel Bowsers

Spotted at East Kirkby, anyone able to identify these two please - type, capacity, etc?

Chris
    Last edited by Carnaby; 15-11-2011 at 13:20. Reason: title corrected

Default Re: Towed Fiel Bowsers

The top one dates from late 1930s, the chassis is a 3 & a quarter ton BROCKHOUSE with torsion bar suspension, the tank is by Butterfield the pump gear by ZWICKY, powered by a LISTER 3hp petrol engine. Initially for petrol , then some used for aviation lubricating oil, and water -methanol. The above is definately an early example as the torsion bar suspension was changed to leaf spring in about 1940.

Any other shots of the second one please ??

TED

Default Re: Towed Fiel Bowsers

Cheers Ted. Yes, I'll sort one out and post it. It's taken from the other side.

Chris

Default Re: Towed Fuel Bowsers

As requested...

Chris

I stand to be corrected but to me it looks like an Eagle trailer.

There is only one trailer bowser on an eagle chassis mentioned in AP2782A: "Eagle 5/6 ton 4 wheeled trailer with 900 gallon petrol tank (Bellamy).

Dave Molyneux

The type shown in photo 1 was generally referred to as a Zwicky 450 gallon bowser.

Ted’s response could give the impression that this type was fitted to the Brockhouse Mk 2 trailer. Can anybody come up with a photo showing that this was so, or for that matter that it was fitted to other types of trailer? My primary reference (extract from AP2782A) quotes torsion bar suspension which is consistent with only the Brockhouse Mark 1and all the examples I examined in various farmer’s field in Norfolk in the late sixties were indeed on the Mk 1 trailer, of which various sources quote a total of over 10,000 being built.

I have a photo from a 1943 publication which shows a typical oil bowser; it has two drums mounted vertically on the longitudinal lockers at the front end. The caption refers to “special heating being incorporated to ensure that aircraft can be refuelled with oil under the severest weather conditions”. Their words not mine.

I would post the photo except that I cannot get the attachment system to work.

The special heating was not fitted to all the oil bowsers and I do not know if there was the provision to fit it on all of the oil bowsers.

Dave Molyneux

HI dave Yes I reckon that is the one, there was a 5/6 ton Brockhouse with a 900 tank also with 2 part doors each side, but these appear to have one door slightly larger than the other on each side so an Eagle I reckon fits the bill. I recently obtained the data sheet from AP 2782A on the eagle but there isn't a diagram.

TED
    Last edited by ted angus; 20-11-2011 at 22:55.

Quote Originally Posted by WELLINGTON75 View Post
    The type shown in photo 1 was generally referred to as a Zwicky 450 gallon bowser.

Ted’s response could give the impression that this type was fitted to the Brockhouse Mk 2 trailer. Can anybody come up with a photo showing that this was so, or for that matter that it was fitted to other types of trailer? My primary reference (extract from AP2782A) quotes torsion bar suspension which is consistent with only the Brockhouse Mark 1and all the examples I examined in various farmer’s field in Norfolk in the late sixties were indeed on the Mk 1 trailer, of which various sources quote a total of over 10,000 being built..

Dave Molyneux
    The 450 was fitted to the Brockhouse Mk1. (with torsion bar)as above and also The Brockhouse MK 2 4/6 ( but more commonly refered to as a 5) ton with leaf spring. The sheets I have from AP 2782A include the oil and water methanol versions on the MK2 Brockhouse. AP 3090 has various lists of vehicle types and lists both the Brockhouse MK 1 & 2 as being in 450 petrol and 450 oil versions.

TED

Many thanks folks. Be interesting to see this discussion carry on.

Chris

Of the top photo , i have a photo or two of similar type but with doors at both ends. Many a photo shows this type on bomber airfields and in the book 'Lancaster at War 1' (amongst others)they seem to be primarily used for OIL.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information