Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Spigot Mortar

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Default Re: Spigot Mortar

Thanks for the illustration Peter; just the one I had in mind when I posted my last entry - ! The P.I.A.T anti-tank launcher was based on exactly the same principle, and I understand from those who fired a P.I.A.T that they likened the recoil to a kick from a rabid mule, so one can understand why the Spigot mortar was better anchored down to a hefty lump of concrete - !

There are two odd ones near here, the "skeleton" of the base (i.e. no concrete) half buried in the ground with the pin sitting a few inches above ground level. Local tradition is that a "gun" was mounted on them. They are near the main road by the entrance to the aluminium smelter. There is small hillock nearby which has several defensive trenches around it which are said to be WWII. There were also several huts in the vicinity.

I have never come across any of the concrete bases with pin around the town.

There are several "pillboxes" above the gorge in Glencoe, actually stone walls with gun loops. They would make excellent positions to cover the A82 but again no spigot mortars reported.

There used to be a folded up spigot mortar base in a hedge near Elgin but it had disappeared when I last looked. It looked as if it might have been a spare that was unused - an expert on Radio 4's said they supplied in kits with one weapon and about three bases boxed up. He said that often they were not all used and the remaining one or two dumped.

There is an unusual site in Ayrshire, there are several spigot mortar bases in close proximity with paths and there appears to have been a building overlooking them. The road is a very minor one of no strategic importance so it is thought it might have been a range used for training. There is also a more unusual base that is described as having had a "tank turret" on it.

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site...ls/green+hill/

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site...on/green+hill/

Appreciating that this may not be the best place to post, but I saw one of these Stainless Steel "thimbles" in concrete whilst camping with my lads. Walking from Sheringham Park, Norfolk to the beach, there is a path leading up to the main road. About 100m from the road is a pill box and quite close by is the thimble as described. In the trees behind it, there appears to be something resembling a trench system. Crossing the main road, there is then a walkway leading up to and crossing the railway line and along the walkway, there are pillboxes hidden beneath. I would have thought that they were built, then covered. There seems to be a rather large network of pillboxes in this area and certainly much closer to the beach one of them has been renovated and is now private property. Sorry for hijacking the thread with something that clearly is not an airfield defence, but I found the information posted very informative. Thankyou

The Norfolk coast is riddled with pill boxes, spigot motar posts and various anti tank ditches etc so I am not suprsied you stumbled across one, did you take any pictures ?
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinv12 View Post
    The Norfolk coast is riddled with pill boxes, spigot motar posts and various anti tank ditches etc so I am not suprsied you stumbled across one, did you take any pictures ?
    Steve
    I take it you have seen this site, it is either Norfolk or Suffolk.

Virtual Past: Bringing the History of Walberswick to Life.

Nice computer animation there.

I found this on my old external hard drive this afternoon, it may interest some of you.
    Attached Files Attached Files

the document says in the the anti tank role the ideal range is 75-100 yards and the explosion is localised although parts of the target may travel upto 300 yards forwards or backwards - those figures suggest being a spigot mortar operator was a rather hazardous job

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Most of them were in circular pits so the crew did have some protection. I'm sure that it was preferred to the dreaded Smith gun!

I've read somewhere the recoil was almost as dangerous as the weapon itself.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information